Register To Comment
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Noise - Series 2

quote:

Now thats out of the way, if anyone wishes to complain about me any further, I would like it if everyone could just lay off. Please.

Youre not in any position to say that: as Martijn said, youre the new guy, so that makes you a prime target for criticism, whether it be good or bad, until your bots improve. Take it like a man.

Yeah, I also vote against Paul switching bots too. =P

Once in a while though, it helps to come up with your own ideas without copying anyone else€™s. Using other people€™s ideas is generally accepted here, as long as you have a little understanding of that features purpose. €œVirtually everyone does€ will probably cause some negative feedback here, the majority of people here actually come up with their own designs and research, regardless of what the current trend is - I am one of the ones that this doesn€™t apply to€¦

Thanks for clearing up the top armour situation, but still, 10mm Hardox is pushing the limits a bit here. 6-8mm would do the trick, but that€™s still pretty heavy and could still be thinned out more. In terms of motors, ForcePower has never used S28-300 MagMotors like those in Sky-Blast. In fairness the original had 8x S28-400€™s but that€™s just comedy value. Those with more knowledge than me in this area would probably agree that 4x S28€™s at 24v isn€™t going to get you 80hp.

For the ground clearance, the fact is that 2mm is not enough to move freely. We€™ve all been through this numerous times; it just doesn€™t work as tried and tested by the real things. I€™m a believer that 7-8mm is decent for maximum mobility. Being tough to grab is nice, being tough to control is not€¦ 25mph is probably a speed, which would get you out of most trouble and maybe 30mph at the absolute maximum.

Please try to understand these aren€™t to be taken as harsh comments, they are constructive criticism. As a n00b in the world of vapourbots some 5 or 6 years ago, every piece of advice I was given I noted down in a Word document for future reference. I could then make sure this problem didn€™t occur again, and also pass this advice down to others that may of needed it. We have lacked any new blood here for quite some time and you seem to be a legitimate top contender, and all we are trying to do is help you become more successful here.

Its your choice to take these comments or ignore them, sure, I€™m not the best guy round here to offer advice with my track record - but I am someone that was new one day, listened to what people advised me to do and ended up gaining decent results. Please don€™t be put off by this, as the newcomer you are automatically at risk of being bombarded with advice, but don€™t take it the wrong way.

I was thinking about giving my 2 cents in a bigass post, but I think Andy is SPOT ON here, surely competing for the MN2 Sportsmanship-Award

Above all tough,I very much feel I should say how good it is to see new competitors entering this game.

I actualy built several heavyweights for real, so I usually get what you guys try to do and someyimes I think that will never work but for the sake of argument I let it go. The opposite is also true, for example exposed wheels usualy dont get knocked of the robot, but again I let that go because it makes the fight look better.

But if there are stats that are too outrageous I normally will say so.

As for the Hardox, a plate of 1000mm x 1000mm x 1mm is 7.8 kg. 10mm makes it 78kg in weight if you use an entire 1m2 plate. Now you might think that your robot is not 1m2, but start thinking in 3 dimensions and you will notice that the surface area is pretty big.

Most roboteers, including me, dont use hardox all over any thicker than 4mm. Some do 6 or 8 mm in key areas but all over is just too heavy.

swiss_tony
    Come on, ONE of my bots has got to be horribly overweight, why has nobody said anything about that and picking on Paul instead?

Because hes a newbie, and youve been around for over 2 years, perhaps? =P

swiss_tony
    Pretty irrelevant, no? Whats overweight is overweight.

Register To Comment