Register To Comment
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithium cell tests

I agree. I know of at least 2 heavyweight teams that are on the virge of buying new batteries and would like to go to A123 but this hold-up now means they might be forced to go with different ones. We already went for new SLAs instead.

For the record, no one of the organisation of DRG has any objections to the use of A123 in all weightclasses. Nicad fires are not an issue with these cells, and neither is thermal runaway. This has been told to me by a person who designs and builds chargers and balancers for all types of batteries including Lithium nanophosphate.

btw Gary: 2 cells A123 parralel is still lighter than 3 cells nicad in series (to get roughly the same voltage), and then the discharge figures are more in favour of A123.

true but the bank balance figures are then in favour of the nicads. This is when including the price of a lipodapter and cells.

I think I am going to stick to nicads for the time being and see how the A123 cells perform when run in multiple machines.

I am however all for the acceleration of this issue which has been ongoing for a good 9 months or so if you look back to the start of this thread.

The difference in Thz speaks for itself, but that is mainly due to the increased voltage. I think that when the rule is passed we will be looking to go with the A123s at the higher voltage aswell.

Wether or not the performance is or is not the same is not a safety issue. There is no safety reason for these cells not to be allowed in all weight classes. Wether or not a roboteer will use them should be up to the roboteers.

When Nicads came into the picture no roboteers were forced to go to nicads, if they wanted to stay on SLA that was fine.

When NiMh became more interesting for feathers, no one forced roboteers to go to them, if you wanted to stay on Nicads or SLA thats fine.

No one is forcing anyone to go to A123 cells, if you want to stay on NiMh, Nicad, or SLA, that is fine. But do give the roboteers that do want to use them the chance to do so.

Decisions on the investment of batteries, packs, chargers, balancers should be up to the roboteers, in the end they are the one that will have to care for their investment. Those that want to invest in this should be allowed to do so.

Paul, all research on these issues have been done, and results of these tests have been shown here in this thread and all over the net. This is not a cell that just hit the streets 3 months ago, LiFePo4 has been in use for various automotive applications since 2005!

Register To Comment