Register To Comment
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Bot Builder/Buyer

Looking good there Tom, looks like your a pretty competant fabricator if that only took you an hour and desnt look at all shabby!
    If your looking for somewhere to get all your components to get your robot moving then contact James at Robo Challenge, he sells drill motors, motor mounts, wheels, batteries, speedo controllers and other bits you might need.
    you can contact him by e-mail at james@robochallenge.co.uk

Good Luck

3. what are the measurements for for you frame tom?

it looks very nice and stable! nice work

alex

yeah i drilled it all myself thats y the holes are abit wonch hole to the line after i drilled it and guessed the center on the angle. its only 25x25x3 angle and 25x3 flat so it took no time with a 6.5 drill then just went through with a rotor broach. the longest flats from back to front took only a few mins to drill. i didnt make it to a drawing i just used what ever length off cuts i could find in the scrap bin.i only had to cut 3 pieces to length and then just cut the angles at the front and top of the wedge thats it. could probs make one in about 4 hours if i did it properly and to a drawing but the off cuts were there and i had nothing else to do (appart from working)so i knocked it up. it looks better in the pics and it doesnt look too good in them its only small its about 400mm long bout 250mm wide bout 140mm high and the wedge is around 280mm long which leaves the top 140mm or so long. well about that its not having to hold a battery or wheels as its just my test frome i wanted it light as possible with the material i had. them sizes are rough as im at home now and the frame is at work but those sizes will be within 5mm of what i said. might eventually put an rc car inside it and cover it in some realy thin aluminium just so i can let sombody fight it against the one im building.

(Message edited by xtreme on April 25, 2007)

with this spinning weapon you are going for, will this be in this frame or a better one

my first bot was 540mm by 280mm wide, bit smaller than mine

no this just my test frame so i can check it all works befor i put it into the frame im building soon. im making it just a rectangle ram bot then hope to get a vertical spinning wheel on front. abit like tornado just not as good but ill probs go with aluminium for my armor to keep weight down on it cos i dont wanna drill a load of holes incase i put a spinning disk on it and it twists as soon as i hit somthing

Tom I would perhaps look at 4 or 5mm hdpe for armour. Light as anything and it deforms then returns to its original shape when hit. A very interesting material! Plus its cheaper than aluminium.

try this for HDPE sheets

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/home.php?cat=4046http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/home.php?cat=4046

alex

can anyone give me a list of components i need and whats best to use with what. i need a list of everything to make a featherweight robot with a spinning weapon. id like a motor gearbox combo like the grimson robotics ones.

Register To Comment