Register To Comment
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Noise - Series 1

lol Alex, I remember you saying how glad you were seeing your radical changes paying off back in Heat A, well mate, it brought you to the finals

and cheers Andy, thats one spot in MN 2 filled already

(Message edited by MajinB on June 08, 2007)

You miss the point of me flipping you - in all liklihood if I do that youll at least come down on your side at some point, thus stopping your spinner. You will in all liklihood land on your wheels, but that gives me time to follow up without your weapon being active.

Are there any pictures of it because readign that stats I dont quite get it really - mainly the relationship between the cage and the spinning shell.

FINALS
    PLAY-OFF
    Disco 5 VS WEDGE DEVOLUTION

Attacking the corners of the skirts seemed to work well last time, so Ill try the same thing here. My slight speed advantage should allow me to outmanouevre it, so hopefully, I wont end up eating flywheel too much. Just head for the skirts corners, flip, sneak underneath and ram to the Pit or arena walls for a final flinging.

This has been an excellent tournament, Marti, and these closing clashes should be the cherry on the cake. Consider this your second reservation for Series 2. :wink:

Before... afterwards its more likely that your weapon will get clogged with shrapnel, lol.

One plus side of my weapon is that as its got two halves I in theory get two attempts if Im lucky.

Plus yay for radical changes

The 3rd place play-off
    Almost there

Disco 5 vs Wedge Devolution

3€¦ 2€¦ 1€¦ Activate!

Spicy detail in this match is that Disco has already beaten two of Steve€™s most infamous vapourbots on its way to this play-off, Whirligig and Clawdius no less. How will the discbot fair against Steve€™s most successful entry of this tournament? Steve himself is more than eager to find out and he drives his bot towards Disco. Disco waits for Wedge to come while spinning up its disc. Wedge tries to find a way around it, but bad luck strikes Steve when Martyn skillfully positions the disc straight between the chassis€™ of Wedge and Disco when the wedge tries to slide under and launch Disco into the air
    FLIP!
    CRASH!
    Wedge launches its flipper alright, but it hits a nasty vertical flywheel in the process. While Disco only topples a bit, Wedge is send up and over, and backwards, with a burst of sparks. A cut can be seen at the bottom of the flipper, nothing too serious really. Wedge self-rights, but Disco is already coming in€¦
    CRASH!
    Two hits in quick succession. This hit doesn€™t send Wedge flying; however, it knocks one of Wedge€™s side skirts right up. Wedge turns around to come face-to-face with Disco, skirt upright and damaged. Disco tries to attack, but Wedge successfully moves to the side and tries to have a go at Disco€™s front corner, but he misses! Wedge now moves towards Disco€™s rear, where he uses his superior speed to shove his flipper underneath! Wedge flips! Disco moves up, nudges the floor with his disc, and is send flying! Disco lands on its back, but uses his srimech before Wedge Devo can come in to cause more harm. Wedge IS coming in though, and again searches for the front corner of Disco to slide under for a flip. Disco tries to put something against this, but he can€™t help himself! Wedge is underneath again, and the match seems to be going in his favour! Another hefty flip and Disco is flying again! The gyroscopic forces of the disc this time send Disco in a full circle and make him land on his wheels. Again the two machines seek a confrontation. Man, 3rd place play-offs are often seen as pity-finals, but that can€™t be said about this match! Wedge tries to bring in his flipper, while Disco seeks to deal serious damage with his disc. Wedge does give his best shot, but Disco€™s weapon is just a little bit easier to get in€¦
    CRASH!
    WHOA! This attack send Wedge€™s flipper in upright position, just like what happened with the skirt earlier! Wedge backs off, Steve looking desperate at what happened with his only weapon. Disco turns on the aggression now, launching another assault on Wedge€¦
    CRASH!
    Wedge topples; the flipper has a nasty slice in it now, and still doesn€™t seem capable of any flips. Disco comes in disc-first, to send once again show us some sparks€¦
    CRASH!
    Martyn now turns around, flipper-first, to see if he can get the badly damaged Wedge on his back.

10€¦ 9€¦ 8€¦ 7€¦

Wedge reverses€¦ and time is running out!

6€¦ 5€¦ 4€¦

Disco is closing in!

3€¦ 2€¦ 1€¦

Too late now!

CEASE

We€™ve gone through one hell of a battle, and still the bronze medalist isn€™t decided€¦ well then€¦ let the judges decide for us!

Damage: Disco 5 ((8 out of 10)*2=16)
    Wedge Devolution ((4 out of 10)*2=
    Aggression: Disco 5 ((8 out of 10)*1.5=12)
    Wedge Devolution ((7 out of 10)*1.5=10.5)
    Control: Disco 5 ((7 out of 10)*1=7)
    Wedge Devolution ((7 out of 10)*1=7)
    Style: Disco 5 ((5 out of 10)*0.5=2.5)
    Wedge Devolution ((7 out of 10)*0.5=3.5)

Disco 5: 16+12+7+2.5=37.5
    Wedge Devolution: 8+10.5+7+3.5=29

Wedge Devolution couldn€™t impress the judges
    Disco 5 wins the 3rd place play-off!

Coming next
    We know who came 3rd€¦

Who will come 1st?

BLACK PANTHER QUEEN vs PSYCLONISED

Come and see it€¦

Come and see it€¦

Ahem€¦

Back in October 2005, I decided it was time for the FRA to get a new major. As a matter of fact, there weren€™t many majors left at that point in time, so it was me who took it upon himself to break the deadlock and show people how important major€™s are for the FRA. Mechanical Noise turned out to be a major like many others. It had arguments, controversy and HUGE delays.
    Right now, over a year went by. Eight Heats were finished. Four Semi-Finals resulted in two Grand Finals. The Grand Grand Finalists have been decided. Forty-six robots met their defeat; two remain, fighting for the first place.
    Before the final battles starts though, I feel I have some awards to give away.

Mechanical Noise - Series1; The Awards

Most original design
    An award meant for the robot of which there was none other, a one of a kind. Several machines fit this description. How about S.D. IV with its low-mounted saw blade, Flank Attack with its huge rubber coated pincers and scoop, Going Crunch, the only clusterbot and Omniforce, with its omnidirectional drive-system? The machine I give this award will be one that was rather unlucky being overpowered by two highly destructive full-body spinners in round 1, namely Slammer V. It is the self-flipping device of this axlebot that makes it so unique, combined with a wide range of interchangeable weapons. Congratulations Alex H!

Best design
    Meant for the most thought-out design. For that one design that is ready for everything thrown at it, be it a powerful flipper, a destructive spinners of a high-powered rambot. Machines that fit this description well include Disco 5, Wedge Devolution, Die-Ceratops Re-Invertus, Achilles and SOR 5.0. The one this award will go to however is Psyclonised, for being a great invertible design, merging Son of Whyachi€™s spinning cage with a standard spinning ring to create a great line of both offence and defense. Congratulations Andy!

Best engineered
    Meant for that one technical masterpiece out there. For the machine that is build so smart, so well, that it€™ll make my science teacher cry. Again, there were many candidates. Black Panther Queen, Shovearound 2 and GeForce 4.0 were serious contenders, but I decided to give this award to Wedge Devolution. Congrats Steve!

Best sportsman
    I have to admit, there were no bad sportsmen in this tournament. There have been some arguments, but all of them have been settled nicely and quickly. I€™m gonna give this award to Steven McGregor, who is famous for always being his optimistic self, and never complains. Not that he had any reasons two complain, he brought two vapours within the top six of this tournament. Congrats!

Best realie
    This is an easy award . Only three realies were entered, and of them, only one was capable of fighting its way past round 1. 13Black it is, for being the only realie that managed to overpower one of the many overpowered vapours out there. Congrats Chris C!

Most aggressive
    An award meant for that one vapourbot designed for offence, rather than defense. Again, many candidates were looked at by me. Black Panther Queen, Disco 5, Forcepower 5.0 and Novastorm 2 were all great. In the end though, I had to give this one to Cyberdemon. Its translational drive-system made it perfectly well suited to come in at opponents and completely destroy them, like it did to Axe-O-Lotle in round 2. It was eventual finalist Psyclonised that had to stop this beast, and did so by having better control. Congrats Anthony!

Best fight
    In this category, only one fight stood out. It is shared winner of 2006€™ Best Fight Award. It is the vapour equivalent of Gravity vs Razer€¦ Clawdius Decimus Murderous vs GeForce 4.0

Those were the awards boys and girls€¦ those who won one€¦ CONGRATS! Those who didn€™t€¦ well€¦ you still did one hell of a job!

Next up, THE FINALS!

Register To Comment