Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powering up weapons

I most definatly agree with Paul.
    i think a typed up document should be made by every team witch includes an activation squence.
    this shows that the roboteer has properly thought through their safe activation sequence for there machine.

I do believe I know what David is refering to. Burkerts have to have air pressure to close. They use equalised pressure to close the valve. If squeeze handles are used on the bottle and the handles are closed too fast then the inrush of gas causes the valve to momentarily leak before the gas has equalised. Although this is rather exciting it should in no way be considered as a full missfire. Many robots now use propper gas taps on their bottles and these are opened in a much gentler manner.

Dantomkias turn on sequence is as follows.

TX on and all switches checked for correct de activated state. ( I have remote kill that a. removes 24v from all valve firing ccts and b. disconnects the RC singal from the speed controller thus causing it to go into failsafe mode )

RX on and robot ACTIVE switch made. A small movement of the robot. forward / backwards and left / right is made to check radio control integrity. ACTIVE switch cct then broken so that robot is deactivated.

Dump valve closed and gas slowly turned on. Cover closed and robot again Activade and tail pneumatics checked. Robot the Deactivated till seconds before the fight starts.

I consider it safe to arm Dantomkia in this way. I wouldnt do it for some others because of their radio methods. ie, Dantomkia actually removes the valves power source physically deactivating it.

As many others have said, its up to the individual robots design as to how they are armed up.

Just a word here. I have been thinking of making a small rule change to the pneumatics section. This is with reference to the 1000psi relief valve. This rule was added not for safety reasons but to to stop people over gassing and cheating on full bottle pressure systems. The burst disk is more than an adaquate safety device.

I propose to alter the ruling to say something along the lines of :-

if all connectors, fittings and regulator are rated above the burst disk pressure (130 bar) and the system pressure is regulated then there is no need for the 1000psi relief valve. However, if any part of the pneumatic system uses gas at the same pressure as the stored gas, ie full bottle pressure, then the 1000 psi relief valve will be required to ensure that no cheating happens.

Thoughts but not a long winded debate is welcome on this.

Cheers.

Mike.

David, check their bottle valve. If they have a pilot valve then this might be a clue. The only robots that reguraly missfire is Ripper and Hassocks Hog. When I am arena manager I arm them up last. Having said that, Jonno seems to have fixed Ripper.

Basically some robots do and some dont.

Mike.

team_ireland
    Mike I 100% agree with your idea of removing the 1000psi valve however I do believe a safety relief valve is needed 10% above the working pressure just incase something goes wrong with the regulator and full pressure gets through.

Regards
    Ian

Register To Comment