Register To Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Overvolt drillmotors

Yeah i have noticed, i used to use 100mm wheels, and then i swaped to 125mm for more speed, and thats when gears started to break. Even the teeth on the metal gears started to break off. I know the Big Nipper team broke off one of the Gear Shafts inside the gear box, but hey use quite big wheels. About 150mm diamter or more is it?

Mr Stu

Stu, 6 Dia. Close enough

Great speed but without supporting the wheel shaft at both sides impacts kept bending the shaft and eventually it broke. The gearbox in blue seemed to hold up this time but it does have 5 planet gears on the last stage with the 30V drill motor (also Nutool) with 1200 rpm output speed. Pitty we couldnt get bigger wheels as this might have been able to keep up with the weaponless, err, ram bots.

4. team_ireland
    Not exactly over volting but does any body have any ideas on how to get the chuck off some drills.

I have removed the screw and i have tried a few methods. I have held the chuck in a vice and ran the drill. I have tried hand un screwing it. Any one else got any ideas?

Please help please
    Regards
    Ian

Yeah, Id like to know that too. I used the chuck of the drill to make wheel hubs. Used an angle grinder to remove most of the chuck so I was left with the small threaded part and a plate with 3 hole in it that the jaws moved though. The only problem was that after a few fights the chuck jammed onto the drill shaft and I couldnt remove the whell or gearbox from the robot. Because it was between nights of a compition we pretty much destroyed the drill gearbox to remove it from the robot, so I could get the new wheel (and new drill too by that stage) in before my next fight.

The way we do it is to take the screw out of the chuck first, an odd few need drilling out, and then put the chuck in the bench vice and rotate the handle very quickly. For a few this does not work so we short the motor wires together and try again, this works for us.

Yo,
    So your turning your motor ON/OFF If this is the case, the motor is near enough at stall when its given full battery power to start the drum spinning. I would advise the use of a speed controller and start the drum up slower than giving it full voltage which will heat the motor up alot. What might be perfect for you is a 30amp Electronize Speed Controller from Technobots would sort that out. Even a 15amp might do it, but would recomend a 30amp to be safe as they can deal with drill motors at stall, not sure on the 15ampers.

Kind Regards,
    Mr Stu

Register To Comment