Register To Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Largest spinning disc on a lightweight!

Sorry, but we have infact beaten you all Thwackbot T2M being used as a melti brain translational spinner is a full 12kg spinner

o im sorry i thought we were still on light weight spinners.........my bad!

4. Guest
    Theyre also a myth, Y-Pout uses a smaller inner nav-bot.

*Still believes a true spin-drive system is impossible*

6. Another true example of a translational spinner is Teslas Tornado. Its been around for quite a while and won two fights at Battlebots season 4.0.

Interesting thing is it uses an infra red based remote with sensors on either side of the bot which it uses as a reference direction.

http://mchargue.org/William/BattleBot/
    http://mchargue.org/William/BattleBot/

Id also be interested to hear how T2M works.

I used to think translational spinners were the way forward because they could potentially allow you to have large amounts of energy stored and still be very manouverable with a powerful omnidirectional drive system. I looked into it more and found its not physically possible though. Motors just have too much inertia to change their speed significantly as the bot rotates and youre limited by only having your wheels pointing in the right direction half the time. Im sure theyll work with some success in the future but theyre never going to be particularly effective IMHO.

Trying to pull this thread back on topic; the heaviest disk I can think of is Backlashs at 7kg.
    Theres probably heavier but it depends if you class them as a disk. I used the Big Bang teams site cause its got the specs of most good American spinners on there:
    http://www.geocities.com/bigbangrobotics/testspin.htmhttp://www.geocities.com/bigbangrobotics/testspin.htm

Mark

team_ireland
    T2M is a twack bot. Not exactly High Tech.

Regards
    Ian

I can see why people would say that electric motors would have too much inertia to just quickly switch off and back on to a useful translational spinner. At 600rpm abd with the wheel being turned off for about 30 degrees of the rotation thats about 0.008333 seconds that the motor has to be off for, and at 10 times a second too. Even if you turned the motor off for 180 degrees thats 0.05 seconds. The motor wouldnt have enough time to get much slower. The only this sort of robot would work is if it only spun about 200rpm and thats boring.
    Maybe a central wheel that touched the floor at the center of rotation that you turned on when it was facing the right way for about 30 degrees might work, but youll only do it every5 or so revolution other wise the constant turn on current would fry something (like mag motors).
    But Ive got an idea. Why not use a single internal combustion engine and feed that into a differental gearbox then to the wheels. You need to add an ideler gear to one side to get the wheels spinning in oppiste directions. You then add a fast acting break to one side thats able to engage and release in 0.008333 seconds (OK, Im still dreaming) which will lock one wheel and speed the other up giving you translational motion. The added bonus is the engine will alway remain running at one speed during the movement.

And Aaron, why havnt I seen T2M translate? You still owe mw a re-match with T2M too.

lmao. T2M is a stinger style thwack bot, but it cannot attack vertical. I just full body spin it and adjust the radio sticks so one wheel is slower then ther other and it translates in an elliptical pattern. Tot high tech, but the full body mass rotates, with the current mods on T2M it weighs about 13kg, we have to drill some holes out of it. Removing the 3kg 7amp and replacing it with a small 3amp or 4 drill NiCD packs will solve this problem.

Daniel, anyday mate, bring your bot and well rumble. Just remember, we have a wedge and traction now

Register To Comment