Register To Comment
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Armour

I tired that with balsa wood & wood glue on an antweight. It did increase its strengh but warped the wood in the process. Dont think it will work on a bigger scale but you never know. Try asking WJ if he has strengthened the MDF Armour on Gravity 4 . Well thats what it looked like on Arthers Pics.

As for easily fixing armour. Never damaged a panel enough to warrent replacing/fixing it yet. Repairing armour for us means making a new piece. Its not been designed to be fixed in a hurry

Well looking at the mechanical properties of a material in a text book is a bit different then looking at how the material would perform on a robot. The mechanical properties for Perspex and Polycarb are almost identical in the text books I have at home but I know for a fact, since my first robot had Perspex panels riveted to an Ali frame and my second was completly Polycarb (both feather weights), that the material handle completly different when impacted.
    What I was going on about with the UHMW backing up the metal was if you just bolted the metal over the UHMW. If the combanation took an impact from an axe, spike, fly-wheel toothed spinner or other simalar weapon it would strik the metal which would deform, pressing into the UHMW, which would absorb the energy. Because the UHMW can deform well over 100% it would be able to absorb the impact and because the metal would then have planar loading it wouldnt be punched though unless the impact pushes deep enough into the UHMW. If wood was substituted for the UHMW the wood would absoub the impact, but wouldnt deform as much as the UHMW and would then splinter. Once that happens the metal covering would have to take more of the load and would split.
    Of corse this would all be different if it was glued together. Carbon Fibre panels glued onto a foam core would make good structure materials, so would Perspex glued onto a balsa wood core. Actually the Perspex/Balsa composite seemed stronger when we were shown it a uni.
    Oh and the technical term for the stuff that coat Blasa Wood with when making model planes it Dope. I got weird looks when I first tried buying the stuff for my planes when I asked for it in a craft shop.

A tip working with wooden armour.

A historcal fact you can fire harden wood. which first done around the time of the caveman/neandthal.

For sheet wood (a hard wood ply is best)use a blow torch to blacken the surface, have a fire safty cloth/blanket on stand by in case you set it alight, dont use water to put out any fires as you will have to start all over again when it has natural dried.

Once harden apply the dope let that soak in that a plly a thin layer of apoxy resin to seal it all in.

For a top layed use between 1 to 2mm of case harden steel, stainless steel, titamium make sure the wood is glued on good.

When using this in bolt on to frame format the use of edging renforcement is recomended as this will add structal strenght to the whole of the case.

For people who would like to test this. Simply get 2 small bits of metal the same size glue one to any bit of wood you have around the place but both pieces and a off cut of the wood that you used, on some sand or grass and then hit them with a hammer untill they brake.

In stead of glueing the metal to the wood you culd use some small screews and screew the wood to the metal

In stead of glueing the metal to the wood you culd use some small screews and screew the wood to the metal

or you could do both

Yeah, Ive got to agree really... those weight figures really give you an easily visable comparison between the different materials, if you were to use a steel+x laminate, then the x might as well be polycarbonate, as it is very comparable in weight to the wood.

A solid panel of one material is obviosly stronger than most (if not all laminates) so I guess a wood+steel or polycarb+steel laminate would probably only be for teams on a very low budget from the start of the build.

We still havent gone over kelvar, or carbon fibre etc in much detail yet (I dont think), so that might be something to cover next, also softer plastics (which can be VERY cheap) like HDPE could be used for armour in many robots, I know that Dominic (http://www.ukrobotics.comwww.ukrobotics.com) uses HDPE in his heavyweight.

Register To Comment