Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Encouraging International Competition / Harmonizing Rules

Boy, lots of stuff to reply to.

I agree the radio issue is something that has to be dealt with by people helping each other out. Does anyone know if the TX-module radios like the Futaba 9CAP work in both US and UK bands (75 vs. 40 mhz)? Same thing with crystals in the receiver.

Regarding popularity of Featherweights in US, they are becoming one of the most popular classes, as are the 12lb robots, because they are a bit cheaper to build and yet you can still do some serious damage with them. The original version of my bot Anorexia got bounced off the roof of the BotBash arena by VDD, a disc spinner, last summer. It was going over 20mph when it hit the ceiling, we estimate the impact force at over 200Gs, and it chopped a big chunk out of the mild-steel C-channel frame, bending it about 25 degrees! Let me tell you, I was impressed.

There are several really nasty featherweight drumbots, lots of tough wedges and bricks, even some ICE bots.

To clear up some confusion, almost nobody uses keyswitches here, certainly not keyswitches with non-removable keys. The Whyachi switches and the modified Hella switches use a hex key as a key (so nothing to break off), and you would have to physically destroy the switch to get it to change state. Bright main power lights wired to the switch are required, so no light, no power (assuming the light doesnt break, of course)

Realistically, the chance of a bot failing to a dangerous state with both the main power light and the radio light giving misleading results is very slim. A nice feature of the whyachi switch is that when you tighten it down, its off, no ifs, ands or buts. Youd have to put a bullet into it to short it, and a fairly big one at that.

One thing a lot of bots (including mine) do have is a charging plug, a double removable-link that isolates the batteries from the rest of the bot. The difference is that during combat it is stuffed behind a locked panel so that it cannot pop loose, and main power is controlled by the switch.

Requiring a removable link for pit safety but permitting it to be secured if a proper switch is installed might be a way to address the safety concerns and deal with the lucky hit, popped link, dead bot problem. It really sucks to lose that way.

802.11 : bad idea when you get into a noisy environment. Same problem with the otherwise cool IFI robotics kit. They are way too sensitive to interference (eg: internal combustion engines!).

At Robot Assault last summer, an IFI-run bot ran into serious problems because every time his ICE-powered opponent hit the gas, he lost his link.

R/C stuff works because its simple and stupid. Also, the 802.11 stuff weighs more!

26 vs 30. One of my feathers can make it, one (the new one with the magmotor powered blade) almost certainly cant. I just raised it to note the point of difference. Be nice if there was a way for the new bot to compete as thats the one my diabolical sons are going to drive.

I personally would love to have an excuse to come over, since I was born in Tumbridge Wells and I could visit my dear old Nana (98 years young) at the same time. You wouldnt deprive a sweet old lady the chance to see some of her great-grandkids, would you? Surely not! ;^)

On a side note, my website, http://www.madoverlord.com/
    http://www.madoverlord.com/ has a lot of edited videos of events over here. I run an Anime company (allegedly) and so have sort of drifted into the job of videoing events. Hope to have them coming out on DVD soon.

Enjoy.

I agree with Geoff about the link and light.
    Like you pointed out Eddy -its mainly down to activating and de activating the robots at the door. If we think about it in more detail - with all these US bots with Ti all over, there not going to get Hurt that much and may not even need a link. But it gives peace of mind to the person who has to turn these things on and off, or surpervise it all. And just imagen if a speedo or something wouldnt turn off - links all the way, not hard to fit, and not hard to make sure they dont pop out.

I dont know what to do about the weight limit for feathers. In the long run, i say stick to 12kg. But for this one off event -, if we have to stick to the FRA rules 100%, then 12kg it may have to be, but if something else can be done - then go for it.

Mr Stu

I have to say that, even in this day and age, removable links still seem to be falling out of robots (see Dantomkia in the All Stars - although admittedly there was previous damage involved in that particular case). Vast numbers of fights have been cut short because of links being knocked out, and making them hard to remove seems contrary to the idea of keeping things safe. For all the assertions in this thread that its easy to ensure links stay in, this still seems to be a problem for some quite high profile robots. Im not saying that switches are any better, and certainly links would seem to be *safer*, but theyre not perfect.

Ive had this rant before, so I wont go into detail, but my personal preference would be for some means to indicate that the link has come out, and to call a time out so that it can be reinserted. Itd still be better to ensure that the link stayed in, but it would mean that we wouldnt have so many unfair fights, and we might not need a crowbar to get the link out of a live robot which has been designed to avoid link failure. Some means of signalling that the link had been removed (as opposed to other power failure) would make a currently simple system a lot more complex, although it might be a convenient safety measure, but perhaps when roboteers deactivate their machines at the end of a fight they could take the opportunity to say hang on! and restart.

Just a thought, with all kinds of practical problems, but I just thought Id bring it up again while the link/switch issue gets another mention.

--
    Fluppet

Enough is enough about links popping out : Pussycats link has NEVER EVER CAME OUT.
    With all the slamming around, flipping around, hits from Mr Psychos hammer, flying by the arena flipper, bashed by Fluffy, flipped by Chaos 2, M2, Dantomkia, the link has NEVER came out!

The link has never came out on any of our feathers, not being whacked by Vortex, flipped by a heavy weight, or bring hit by Thors Hammer on Kitty - we have NEVER had a link problem.

Ok it may happen now i have said all the above - but point being - we havnt had a problem, i personaly havnt had a problem with the bots ive built, and Pussycat has never had a problem that Alan has built. so personaly - get out there and do something about it.

Sorry for being rude - but if its never came out of Pussycat, and never came out of my robots with my poor building skills after going in and it being trashed and polycarb flying everywhere coz of Vortex and co, im sure everyone else can do it.

Mr Stu

Register To Comment