Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tool box

Lathe we got was donated to us. The company never used it and when I told them what it was for they were glad to get rid of it. Even delevered it the 50 miles for free using one of there vans. Only problem was it had been converted to single phase and the motor was too small. We put it back to 3-phase and changed the gearbox oil and its been fine since. Its a nice Colchester Student with metric & imp thread cutting gearbox built in.

Milling Machine cost us around £500 without any tooling but managed to get most for free. It was however a litte harder to get in the back of the garage.

Look around and be paient and eventually you will find a bargin.

€œbuying cheap lathes isnt a good idea€
    IMO, it depends on the kind of work, for building robots, a chinese lathe will do the job, if you have the possibility of checking before buying, because the quality standards are very different, from decent to very poor or unusable.
    Last year we bought a medium size chinese lathe (300*1100) for manufacturing custom made pneumatic cylinders, (because the spindle bore of our very accurate leinen- lathe was too small) and i was surprised about the accuracy of the basic machine, spindle nose tolerances are less then 0,003 mm, bed, supports, cross feed and headstock is also in decent quality (for our utilisation). Price approx. 1500 Euros. But at first I tossed away the original chuck and replaced it by a german Rhm- chuck (price half the whole machine), the quality of the original one was very poor. After a litle adjustment (tailstock, etc€¦.), the machine works very fine.
    At home in my basement I have a Super 7 with screwcutting gearbox (bought used for 800 euros, including a lot of accessories from the medical department of the university of heidelberg). IMO the best small lathe for hobby using in the world, but the prices for new ones are ridiculous high. (7000 Euros for the new S7 plus on the continent). Last year in nottingham I visited the myford shop in beeston, afther the first visit, my wife tried to hide my credit card .
    My milling machine at home is a very simple chinese mill- drill, but sufficent for almost all kinds of work. For advanced works I have acces to several deckel toolmaker millers.

Regards
    Helmut

http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/discus/messages/89/1743.htmlhttp://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/disc...s/89/1743.html

Hi, clarke Urmm... Clarke machinery i would stay away from. although clarke welders are fine, i have one myself. you will find that there isnt much to go wrong with welders all it is really is a transformer. I have never used a frem one, i tend to stay away from ferm.

hope this helps.
    Danny

You could try to get a job in an engineering shop, I have access to a CNC Mill and several Colchester Lathes.

Machining is only half the story, back home in the garage most of the assembly work is done with little more than a Bosch 240v drill, a Bosch 14.4v cordless drill, a Bosch angle grinder and a Bosch variable speed jig saw (I have cut 1/2 thick ali plate with this). You may spot a common theme here, this is because any other tools from other manufacturers have burnt out and the bosch stuff hasnt.

I cant offer any advice on whether the clark or other hobby mc tools are any good as I havent really used them. The machines we have at work are not necessarily more accurate, they are just more rigid and can take heavier cuts. Hence I can machine in minutes something that can take hours on a hobby machine. The only recommendation I can give is that if you buy a bench drill try to get one that will allow you to position drill accurately.

I might also point out that I work to a very tight budget and without access to the machine shop I would have no robot.

A big bottle of loctite 601 will get you out of all sorts of trouble. Just dont use it on bolts that you may want to remove later. Use nyloc nuts on the threads you do want to remove.

I use a clarke arc welder (circa £60) and can take up to 3mm rods, it is also still working.

A good bench and vice is a must and dont buy hacksaw blades from B&Q, I bought some and tried to cut a high tensile bolt and all the teeth had disappeared before I was half way through it.

A good supply of WD40, squirt some into a cap and dip drills and taps in it regularly, especially in aluminium, it is a brilliant lubricant and your drills will last forever (well nearly)

oh well, im new to the robot world, but i think theres a few items not mentioaned

CUTTING FLUID - this cheap stuff will make your drill bits last a hell of a lot longer, use it with your tap & die set as well

WELDING MAGNET - you know those little magnet thingys that hold your work well u weld. £5

IF YOU WERE TO BUY ONE ITEM, ONLY ONE ITEM GET THE BENCH DRILL, I USE MYNE EVERY DAY. I got a cheap one from B&Q 2 years ago £40 it cost me, it still works fine.

Lots of contradictory comments above like Clarke machinery i would stay away from. although clarke welders are fine, and....

Ferm and Clarke are different brand names for the same kit - cheap to buy - and unfortunately it shows. My Clarke hydraulic bender is good though!

Basically yes cheaper tools are usually rubbish ...sundries like hacksaw blades by Blackspur and the like are absolutely useless.

However some cheapo power tools can be ok.

I have a cheap Clarke bench drill ...have had it 18 months ..used it resonably often and its been ok ...cost £39.99...precision accuracy? No...but who cares for most amateur stuff

Professional engineers will say its crap and it prob is but I cant afford better.

Also proffesional weldors I have spoken to say that Sealey welders are not great (as with alot of brand names Sealy just put their name on products usually manufactured in the far east etc), but my Seally supermig has worked great for 3 years (bought 2nd hand) and never let me down.

So there is alot of snobbishness about tools....yes you get what you pay for ...but try some cheaper stuff ,,,its not all crap ..if it is you wont buy it again, and we all cant afford the best stuff.

I have some excellent quality tools that I use every day in my job and you can definately tell the difference over cheaper stuff I use.

It would be great to afford the best of everything but its not to be

My advise would be to try some cheap stuff....if its rubbish you wont use it again but you wont be too much out of pocket.

You may also be suprised though at how some cheap power tools may be ok for the job.

Trevor: and dont buy hacksaw blades from B&Q,...depends on the brand...B&Q also sell Eclipse,Sandvic etc blades both of which are good quality.

Tom

Register To Comment