Register To Comment
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Discs

Well Im glad to see people are looking at having a sensible spinner rather then OTT spinners. Even though our tri rotor going back onto Annihilation is 4kg, it is built fairly damn sturdy. we have uses 20mm box section for the hammer supports and we have 5mm solidbox between the hammers to stop them from bending the arms. We have the whole weapon mounted on a 22mm ride on mower bearing. There is a picture of the rotor on Annihilation back before it got the paint job and the weapon change on the http://www.featherweights.orgwww.featherweights.org database for those who wish to have a looksy

3. Mr. Baker- If youre trying to make what I think youre trying to make- its extremely difficult to get something so light to translate properly with only a 2kg ****** (just so its not too spoilt :-) a 3kg is much better. Having said all that, theyre still exceptionally difficult to make! The one Im working on (kinda a 2 year project due to really slow rate of income) is going to have translation speed control, via means of a cunning little variable eccentricity cam my friend came up with. We have the design sitting on Pro Engineer, a few parts, little money to do it, and trying to find a friendly firm for the large number of CNC parts it requires! Incidentally, the G Forces on the rim of ours (similar speed) are about 850G- so a kilo of batts suddenly weighs 850kg as far as the chassis is concerned! Its really quite a scary prospect!! Also, our little MDF mockup which we built to test translation, and only ran about 180rpm, FLEW when we caught the edge of a workbench. Just imagine what it would be like at 1500rpm. I am genuinely worried about this particular type of robot- they really are quite astoundingly dangerous, and Ive heard it on the grape-vine that other slightly better funded builders (no prizes for guessing who) have similar plans for a heavyweight version. If thats not what youre building, my appologies! Its just the figures youve quoted there would suggest it might be (unless its a walker, of course, in which case Ive just made myself sound very silly )

Regards
    Ed
    *Insert Something impressive sounding written in red*

4. Yep, as soon as someone makes an effective featherweight walker (no offence to mammoth) theyll be able to stick a 12kg disc on it...
    If only I had a few more sponsors...

Damn! I though I was the only one crazy enough to design Translational Spinners! Ill have to get cracking then!

team_ireland
    @Ewan
    Age In my opinion should not be the restriction. There are some people that at 12 will have the cash and the facalities to make very good robots. It could be much fairer to go by money than age.

Regards
    Ian

I agree, but age is mostly a way of judging income.
    It would be very hard to judge someone by how much money they have.
    Cheers, Ewan

team_ireland
    Not by how much they have but by how much money they have spent on the robot. By that i mean they may have spent 5pounds and got loads of sponsership but anything that was sponsered has to be taken as they paid for it.

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

Again I feel that would be rather hard to judge, a roboteer could quite easily say they got something from a scrapyard when it cost 200.00, youd need to make a huge table with details of how much a certain item costs which is now gettig rather ridiculous...
    (and no, I dont get THAT much sponsorship )

Register To Comment