Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FRA Rules

Does the FRA allow cluster robots? I couldt see any rules about them.

I think a set rules are needed for Gameplay. I know most people know the general rules for the actual fighting but some points are unclear.
    We were involved with an incident at sheffield. In the final, Big Nipper and Mute both went into the pit, and we were the only ones left. We went into our victory spin and the annoucer said we had won, but then BN got flipped out of the pit by mute, the fight then carried on. We ended up being pitted (unable to srimech due to not enough gas, some were waisted on the victory spin). But nobody was sure if it should of carried on or not due to there being no written rule about it.
    The thing that made it more difficult to decide was the fact that mute flipped them out of the pit, and that they didnt get out by just by themsleves.
    Us or Big Nipper still dont know what the official out come was, they were given the decision.
    Ill make it clear, that im not moaning, or holding anything aginst BN, theyre great guys and have a great robot. Ill be chearing for them tonight on RW (even though I know the outcome!). I just would like to see a set of official Bout rules to make it clear when a robot is out or not.
    I think a re-match is needed

Mark

Yes clusterbots are allowed.

Possibly we need to add the joined at match start rule, but other than that theres nothing specific to them that needs adding.

Jeremy

The rules were and are continuing to be developed with both RW compatibility and American rules compatibility in mind.
    We didnt however feel it was necessary to include some of the more restrictive RW rules as they dont actually conform to well to European requirements and are in our opinion stopping development paths needlessly.
    We would be more than happy to work with RW with regards to developing the rule sets together.

The tethering rule is being developed as we speak, but weve decided that in order to provide a guideline that is safe, makes sense to competitors and is relatively easy to follow, we need to make sure its considered and tested properly before release.
    I can tell you that ALL axe weapons are going to be required to include a tether and that single failure point flippers are likely to require them too.

Spinners are not currently included within this ruling as theyre unable to run outside class 2 arenas anyway.

If youd like more information on the tethering guideline, please contact Paul Cooper, or Mike Lambert who are currently working on it together. You can find their contact details on the front page of the FRA site.

My reading of the rules was that both power and receiver on-off switches were needed

Currently a switch is not required for the power, but is required for the receiver.
    If the receiver is switched off the robot must failsafe.
    Were aware that there was some confusion in the wording of issue 1 of the rules, and are currently working on version 1.2 where this issue has been solved.

Hope that helps and thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Regards
    Samuel Jones
    FRA Safety executive

Alan,

Yes it was a little confusing, and this incident has happened before, with robots getting them selves out of the pit both by themselves and by means of another robot, however it isnt until the situation occurs in a competition where results are critical that it becomes a problem.

As far as I€™m aware, and this is the rule we worked to, and would hope to work to in the future.

A robot will not be deemed out of a fight until it has been physically immobile for 30 seconds.

Therefore, wedged against a side wall or in the pit, if you manage to break free, by yourself, or with help, you will not be deemed immobile as long as it€™s within the 30 seconds.

Hope this clarifies things for now.

There will be a notice at Witw to let everybody know for the future.

Jonno

Maybe someone counting down? The judges with stop watches maybe?

Stu

I lost to Bigger Brother at Newark in a 10 second cound down and got free from the side after 15 seconds. I always thought you worked to 10 seconds in a 3 minute fight.

Register To Comment