Register To Comment

Thread: ESC Question-slightly technical

I usually run Cytron dual control 60 amp esc's in my feathers which are perfectly good and quite reliable but after

my latest battles at Robodojo one has developed a fault, I think there is not enough voltage getting to the receiver

and as it is powered by the ESC, I don't have a clue how to find the fault or fix it- having said that Imay be able to

power the receiver with a separate battery pack of AA-anyone with any advice on this would be appreciated.

Anyway here's the main point, because the Cytrons are quite large-better in heavies really and they restrict how

compact you can build a feather I was looking at single ESC's but if I put 2 single ESC's in-will I have to use Tank

steering or is there a way to run them off one stick without a clash -ie when I go forward and also left or right it will

be getting a negative and positive voltage to the motors at the same time-won't it?.

Team Kaizen

having said that Imay be able to power the receiver with a separate battery pack of AA-anyone with any advice on this would be appreciated.
    It is certainly possible. The receivers usually have a range of voltages from 3 - 5V so a couple of AA batteries would power it but you do have to ensure each of the ESCs plugged in aren't powering it either (so cutting the +ve/red wire would do). Wherever that passes failsafe is another matter.

I was looking at single ESC's but if I put 2 single ESC's in-will I have to use Tank steering or is there a way to run them off one stick without a clash -ie when I go forward and also left or right it will be getting a negative and positive voltage to the motors at the same time-won't it?.
    Most modern transmitters can do this via elevon mixing, depending on what your transmitter is. On the DX6i I have, it is Menu > Mix 1 > Ele to Ali. On the OrangeTX types, it is Menu > Model Setup > Elevon. You can also get a hardware based V-Tail mixer which does the same thing if your transmitter doesn't support it but in my experience, they don't hold up very well.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks Lucy, I use a flysky, and it does have a lot of features for a budget controller so I will have to look into that, I'm only going

down the path of 2 ESC's because I don't seem to be able to find a good and reliable budget dual controller for my feathers.

The single ESC's are £28 each and rated at 100 amp but if I could get a dual controller for around £70 that may be better.

Hey Colin,

As we discussed at Dojo, the single ESCs are much likely a better choice for you now. Much lighter and less space consuming than the Cytron.

The transmitters you use will have no problem with adding mixing. The BBB lads have a good guide here:

https://shop.bristolbotbuilders.com/mixing/#mixing

Any issues, give me a shout or I can go through it with you next Dojo.

Thanks Andy-good link,may take a bit of studying but I'm sure it's do able, also this is great information for newbies.

Oh-just had a quick glance at video, it doesn't describe whether the ESC's has I thought would have to be wired to both motors or whether its one ESC to one motor to avoid short circuit-I guess it's the later.
    Last edited by team death; 1st October 2023 at 12:46.

Update

I have put two ESC's into my new robot -fish face and followed the instructions on the you tube video that Andy put a link to, I

must admit I was sceptical that it would work but that's because I'm very old school.

The procedure is very easy and the results amazing.

This could be an end of an era of powerful Fans, Andy that never did blow the opposition away
    Last edited by team death; 24th October 2023 at 14:53.

Register To Comment