Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FW- Crash Course

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Welcome, these insert nuts works well with HDPE.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nu...-50-pack/61859
    Also depending on where you live, Robodojo will be a good place to test it when yours is ready.

hi and welcome, i got 2 questions and 2 suggestions and some advice ,

1 what type of robot are you planning to make? 2 What tools do you have access to?

i would highly suggest reading as many build logs as you can, go to build logs and sort by responses and get reading. also i would use barrel nuts over threaded inserts as they can be rip much easier then barrel nuts, especially if you want to fight spinners. for example

also dont give up, everyone started somewhere just don't try and build outside your capability to begin with having a working at your first event is a massive achievement get to that first.

Team Kaizen

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

I do have some questions about the HDPE as whats the est way to attach the panels together as i fear screws wont be enough, and that continuously taking the screws in and out of the top panel will mess with the structure and it will fall apart.
    In addition to the aforementioned threaded inserts and barrel nuts, L shaped brackets I find also work on the internal structure of the robot if only to offer more rigidity. I used to do what you mention with mine and screw directly into the HDPE (and a underlying wood frame) with self tapping screws. I can say, with absolute certainty, that won't hold up in the EXR arena as the below video shows.

(8:33 in the video)

Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Personally, I use threaded inserts for the lid of my FW these days but you could use barrel nuts I am sure.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

threaded inserts work fine for lids just nothing that will be taking spinner hits, so main frame, Armour panels etc another method is using threaded aluminum blocks (like pulsar/magnetar), it is a very strong, modular system which allows for quick panel replacements if designed right however it is heavy. like i said before, build to what tools you have.

anyway what design are you thinking about

Register To Comment