Register To Comment

Thread: Gearbox advice

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Robert Webb
    Robots
    Chops!(BW, Disassembled), Chops2it!(BW, Disassembled), Dreadbin(BW, Caught Fire), Misc AW's
    Hey All, currently scoping out ideas for a potential feather this year. I have a few things in mind to post about later on, but I feel this subject has the biggest priority. So I bought a job lot of 4 argos drill motors, not realizing that they were, well, just the motors. So I'm currently looking at gearbox options. I am aware of the banebots p60s, but at roughly £50 a pop that seems a little out of my price range at the moment. Would it be possible to mate the motors with existing other brand drillboxes from ebay? I have also seen the kid car boxes which will fit these motors, but i'd imagine those gears are plastic and will probably strip upon light use. Any other alternative suggestions are welcome too, like I say, this is my first feather, having only built beetles and ants before.
    Team Botchef - Combat Robotics, Cooked up.

If it doesn't have tape on it, is it really fixed?

Team Kaizen

Status
    Name
    Lucy
    Robots
    AW: Amai, Ikari, Osu, Ramu / BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger / FW: Azriel / MW: Jibril, Kaizen
    It certainly is possible to mate the motors with the gearboxes but you'll likely need to find a pinion gear for the motor and make sure that the mounting holes in the gearbox fits onto your motors.

Yeah, RC car stuff at this level will strip fairly quickly (as do some drill boxes I have to say, try and find ones that are all metal if you can). If you had the time, you could build your own 1 or 2 stage spur gearbox but that can get fiddly.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Alan
    Robots
    Pressure Point MkII [FW] - In Progress. Plastic Fantastic [FW] - Active
    If you can tell us if they are old style or new style Argos drill motors, it might be worth a post in the wanted section too. Someone might have a gearbox or 2 left over after just using the motors from the drills for spares?

You can find planetary gearboxes, in nearly every size, for reasonable prices on aliexpress.
    Most of them have steel gears.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Mark Smith
    Robots
    "Blacksmith" (FW) in a bag in bits "Forge Master" (FW) battle worn "Forge Master II" (FW) in CAD
    Gimsons are a option but they are not cheep either and you can find the same boxes cheeper from china but it depends on how quickly you want it

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Robert Webb
    Robots
    Chops!(BW, Disassembled), Chops2it!(BW, Disassembled), Dreadbin(BW, Caught Fire), Misc AW's
    Some good points all round, thanks guys. In terms of the motors themselves, there are 2 old style and 2 new style ones. Asking in the wanted section is also not a bad shout, I'll throw a post up there soon
    Team Botchef - Combat Robotics, Cooked up.

If it doesn't have tape on it, is it really fixed?

Register To Comment