Register To Comment
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Ouch ! 6 out of 6 losses Lucy after all that preparation I dot blame you for been upset, of course

winning is not everything, well it is for some but generally it's not always achieved.

My view is as long as you entertained at a big event you are still a winner and I guess your Robot

been grabbed by a house Robot and put through the Mangler did the trick and I'm sure there were

a few more highs when you look back.

Why not try getting to a few smaller events so iron out the creases and find out what works and what

doesn't ?.

Team Kaizen

It wasn't the fact that I didn't win, it was more a case of the robots underperforming. I have no problem (usually :P) with losing if the fight is good. For example, Extreme Robots Cheltenham 2019 was a glorious event for me despite the MW failing because of a battery wire failure because finally, after a year of that iteration of the MW failing because of stupid things like axe shafts twisting et al, it finally worked and presented at least a credible opposition in the arena. As you say though, I do look back at the event with the first fight with a smile because it just seems to be a thing for me to have my robot destroyed at a Robots Live event. As I put it to Greg, "at least I bring entertainment value."

Why not try getting to a few smaller events so iron out the creases and find out what works and what doesn't?
    The issue is for me is that there are no "small" MW or FW events I can easily attend. RoboDojo is on the other side of the country so even going to that is a whole day excursion and when I am committed to being elsewhere on a Sunday or a Saturday I just can't go. I don't have a driveway or even a relatively suitable garden to trial these with properly and obviously, testing in a public space (with the MW especially) is a big no-no.

I may end up building a testing arena for these for use at BotFest events and othes because this lack of testing is getting to be a real pain.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

No worries Tom, I know you tried and thanks for that. One day, I will get Jibril working properly and we'll have to have a grudge match

Speaking of, I am going to order some sheets of Nylon and some more U-bolts and rebuild the axe carrier with the motor supported properly. The change in gearing means the carrier needs to be rebuilt anyway so hopefully the change means it'll look less ungainly. I'll make some plates for the drive gears as well so they'll mesh properly.

Team Kaizen

The gears in the carrier themselves are fine, it is the actual axe motor gear that is slipping. I think what has happened is when I drilled the holes for the motor face bolts I drilled too big a hole because I couldn't line them up on the HDPE sheet (I was lacking a pillar drill at the time, which I now have).

The quick and dirty solution is to slide in a bit of 2mm HDPE underneath the motor to raise the front of the motor up to mesh properly. Longer term is to rebuild the carrier entirely as described.

The drive motors, I think either the motor or the wheel itself is out of position. I suspect the latter but will measure.

Sounds like a frustrating day out Lucy, glad you still have a plan and the enthusiasm to iron out those last few mechanical issues!

Team Kaizen

Don't get me wrong, I was grateful for having been to an event at all, the robots just underperformed. If I can get the time, I'll try to go to Dojo with both to get them properly tested. That being said, we are planning to move house fairly soon here to somewhere with a proper shed area so I don't have to haul these things up and down the stairs.

Register To Comment