Amai, Ikari and Osu
So for Ant Freeze this weekend, I've gotten ahead and got the three I wanted to get done ready though it was a bit touch and go.

Amai is all done and is a basic wedge but partially made out of a Heroes sweets tub since we had that around. I "think" it fits in the 4 inch cube rule but it can be adjusted if needed. My partner is going to be driving this one, marking her first entry into driving a robot at all so hopefully I've built something that she'll like.

Osu, as ever, continues to be the oddball. It's got a new receiver but otherwise is practically the same from Ant Freeze 5 barring a few weight saving measures.

Ikari was the troublesome one. The polycarbonate shell is quite nice but it was meant to be a spinner. Unfortunately, the spinner motor broke and then I screwed up and blew up the NanoTwo. It therefore received a full rewire with a couple of new speed controllers, a OrangeRX receiver and a replacement nano servo for the clamper mechanism. It now is moving and works OK and even the clampy thing does... something :P

ants_2019.jpg

Azriel
Azriel has been on the backburner with the Antweight robots and Jibril underway but now the Ants are done, I can focus on getting this one ready for the UWE event. I still suspect I may struggle but it is technically mobile, honest. Tomorrow is getting the armour measured up, the wiring tided up and cutting some 4mm polycarbonate.

Jibril
This one has been a bane of contention. After the nice mockup from the previous post, the steel beams have been drilled and can now be attached to the base plate with some huge M10 coach bolts. I even remembered to put some side holes in the sides to attach the HDPE directly to rather than via a weedy bracket or two. Top lids have also been fitted.

I've got the wheel holes in the base plate and the outer bearings attached to the base plate (that is, the ones closest to the outer edges of the robot). Currently getting the 10mm shaft cut to length and then I need a motor mounting plate made up to attach the motors to (need some 10-32 bolts as well as a reminder for myself). All the gears for the drive are here along with the axe output gear but the axe pinion gear has been a bit of a nightmare. First, the supplier couldn't supply me with a 19T gear so I went for a 20T gear, which reduces the reduction to 4.5:1 and then when it did arrive, the 12mm bore didn't fit over the 12.7mm shaft of the motor. Doh, new one ordered.

Jibril is still a way off from moving but once the drive motors are mounted, it should be plain sailing as the electronics and wiring all come out of Kaizen which only need a minor bit of fettling to make work in Jibril. The axe shaft and head are still to be worked on but I have hopes it will make RL Burgess Hill. Failing that, EXR Portsmouth.

The assortment of parts and such weighs just over 30kg unbolted, so 35kg is my estimated weight just to get it rolling so plenty of weight for that axe.

Other things
I finally did a brushless conversion on a Gimson gearbox! In the end, I used a Turnigy XK3674 1650kv inrunner motor with a modified set of SimonK firmware on a RedBrick 100A ESC and seems to work quite smoothly (though I need to try it on a 6S battery set, works OK on a 4S battery). I have at least two more gearboxes so I could make an experimental FW out of them.