Register To Comment
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

McMullet
    Nice... Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Team Kaizen

As a general inquiry, what ratio do folks run their axes at these days? For RL Grantham, Azriel will use the same 3:1 setup that Kaizen used last year with the CIM motor which in testing has been fairly rapid but I'd like it to be able to self right and reasonably effective at making an impression one way or another. I think I can add some small counterweights to help.

The bearings for the two stage box for Jibril has arrived. However, I've come to the decision that I won't have it ready for RL Grantham and if I try, I'll end up rushing it and probably end up making it worse. I am going to therefore get the ESC mended for the event and pretty much leave it there. I need the metal axe blade from the plastic Scythe for Azriel so the big Scythe on Jibril will remain where it is and once Grantham is out of the way, I can focus during the two week window for EXR Bolton, which I am hoping family is coming along to see so I really do want it working by then.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I don't have a axe weapon but I do have some knowledge of cim motors and ratios.

You would never be able to self right with such a ratio of 3:1, I would use a minimum

of 8:1 and you will be suprised how little effect this has on weapon speed but does

increase the power greatly.

Looking at your design it may be possible to attach a chest expanding spring to the axe or

scythe head to help on the return stroke-they have a pull of over 5kg so might assist with

the SRIMEX.
    Last edited by team death; 18th June 2019 at 21:20.

Team Kaizen

Thanks for the advice Colin. With the gear ratios on Jibril going to 15.75:1, I suspect that'll help a lot anyway but the spring idea isn't a bad idea, I think the season 2 version of Bumblebot used something like that?

Azriel
    It is as finished as it is ever going to be for RL Grantham! Had a small hiccup with the axe ESC but it turned out to be a dodgy terminal connection. Anyway, a picture of Azriel 0.9! (Apologies for the black background, it was photographed on a black carpet and it would have looked weird with a white background.)

azriel_0.9.jpg

Armour: 15mm HDPE, 6mm polycarbonate
    Power: 4S LiFe batteries
    Drive: 2x 13.7:1 Gimson motors
    Weapon: Axe powered by a CIM motor going through a 3:1 gear ratio
    Weight: 11.1kg

There are elements I want to work on, like the exposed wheels and the axe gearing as discussed above (and of course, it is not painted in a suitably bright colour) but it'll run for Grantham in this configuration. There was a discussion on the MW Discord channel about wherever we'd run FW minibots with the MWs at the event, not sure if that is going ahead. I wonder if I'd be OK running this with Jibril... maybe. But heck, for a robot that cost me about ~£50 in new parts and a lot of recycling, I'll take it.

I found a 3S LiFe battery so if I can get it charged, I'll put that in Azriel for 5S in series for the extra oomph.

Now I need to work on Jibril.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 19th June 2019 at 14:31.

McMullet
    Looking great! Well done on using most of the mass budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    I found a 3S LiFe battery so if I can get it charged, I'll put that in Azriel for 5S in series for the extra oomph.
    I may be missing something there, but what's that going with to make 5s? Presumably not the 4s, because that would make 7s?

Team Kaizen

The 3S would replace one of the 2S batteries, my series adaptor only accepts two batteries.

McMullet
    Aha, so your 4s is 2x 2s, so you'll take out one 2s, replace it with a 3s and then that makes a 5s... It's almost too simple! :P

Hope you can bring Azriel to Robodojo! Assuming the spinners don't get it at Grantham

Team Kaizen

Hahaaaa, no worries James. Azriel shouldn't be as prone to getting stuck as The Honey Badger was, but we will see.

Team Kaizen

RL Grantham 2019
    A personal opinion first - if you are new to the whole fighting robotics scene (and by new, I mean first ever event), I do recommend Grantham. I might be a bit biased given that two years ago, Grantham was my first ever event but it is honestly a good place to be.

So Jibril and Azriel did go to Grantham. As it turns out, Jibril's Scythe issues turned out to be far less than originally feared. The ESC hadn't died and the shaft, although bent, was good enough to be remounted and allow the gears to mesh. Azriel was finished on the Wednesday before hand, having been started on the Saturday beforehand so it'd be interesting to see how a robot made out of recycled parts and bodged wiring would work.

On the Saturday, myself and fellow MW competitor in Jackpot (of Tantibus fame) arrived and after some debate, we entered into the Featherweight melees with them. Robots Live were running 2x FW melees per show so that was a potential 6 fights. For balance, we both went in with our FWs in the first melee and the MWs in the second melee.

In the first FW melee with Azriel, the question of how reliable the robot was came to mind. The answer was "not very". The first hit it took, the whole robot shut down. The rumble around it did bend the axe somewhat but was otherwise undamaged. A quick analysis afterwards revealed that several of the terminal connector blocks had come undone, including the one to the fuse. Managed to reconnect all but the fuse terminal block back together, which point blank refused to screw down properly so I pushed the wire in as hard as I could and got some tape to hold it in.

In the next melee fight (which I have a video of so I'll post that later), Jibril was up. Prior to the event starting, I had noticed that the castors at the front of the robot had been twisted, warped and eventually had come off. The drive issues I have had with Jibril means that I tried running the robot without any castors on the front but the bolts used to hold the front on dug into the arena floor and it wouldn't move anywhere.

Luckily, the quick thinking of Jackpot saved the day with some HDPE feet mounted to the front arms of the robot. This jacks the front up a little but the slipperiness of the HDPE (I think) allowed the robot to move so in it went as Jibril 1.01. In this fight, I was still trying to get to grips with controls but finally, the Scythe finally fired and hit something. In this case, it was The Plastic Fantastic but the slow motion of the Scythe meant it was unlikely to do very much. It then got stuck on the wooden floor and Jackpot took my robot for a ride, slamming it against the arena walls. I managed to fire the Scythe to free myself but the repeated ramming pulled one of the RC wires out of the drive ESC and I was done, eventually left hanging over the pit.

After this fight, Jackpot was pulled out due to a twisted gearbox and/or shaft I think, leaving Jibril as the only MW competitor in the event. Because of this, it felt "wrong" to put a single MW in with the FW when there wasn't another MW to fight with. During Sunday, I tried to organise a non-flipper HW melee with Jibril but regrettably, this didn't come off. Although there was enough HWs to do this with, the number of full pressure flippers made this impossible to organise within the constraints of the show.

For the Sunday show, a newbie to the live scene was in the pits who was with Theo and we struck up a conversation about how to build a robot. Eventually, I asked him if he wanted to have a go at driving Azriel, which he did.

The first melee was a repeat of the first fight with Azriel. The bodge I had used to fix the wiring failed and it promptly shut down. This time, there wasn't that much damage to the robot so I charged the batteries and soldered the connection (like I should have done in the first place) to the fuse.

The next melee was far better. Cullum drove Azriel again and this time, the robot went the whole three minutes. I had taken the front polycarbonate wedge plate off to see how it did with just the forks and it seemed to do OK though the 3:1 axe and the non sharpened head was a bit weak and we were nibbled by a nasty looking crusherbot from Team Cobolt. At one stage, it had been flipped over but amazingly, did managed to self right though how is a mystery to me (might have have some assistance). Still, I count this as a win in my book, even if the axe mechanism came apart at the end. Easily fixable.

The next fight I took the controls back and fought with Azriel. This fight, I managed to get the axe stuck in to a few competitors and although the robot was suffering from a terminal lack of power and the axe mechanism once again fell apart after being pushed into the big spiked roller, it was still moving at the end so again, another win in my book.

In the last fight, I put the wedge plate back on but even before the fight started, I could tell Azriel was now feeling a bit batteworn. Even with fully charged 5S batteries, it seemed to be moving slower than it was before. Even with that, it still managed to plough into a spinning BlueBoi and got stuck in for a bit before Satanix pitted it.

(I'll upload videos of a few of these fights later)

So Azriel ended up surviving 2 fights. Incidentally, that matches the best performance of The Honey Badger in a single event. From this event, I think the things to do on Azriel before a potential appearance at RoboDojo are:
    • Get new drive motors
    • Get replacement batteries?
    • Replace the wheels
    • Fit wheel guards
    • Up the gearing on the axe to 6:1 or 8:1
    • New axe arm
    • Paint it
    • Potentially a rear tail to stop the robot hopping on axe return

Jibril needs my attention first before EXR Bolton. It needs:
    • New 15.75:1 gearbox fitting
    • New front top panel
    • Front wedge fitting