Register To Comment
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

Quote Originally Posted by suvv View Post
    btw if the builder of get shreckt is there and you wish to speak to him he really loves tinned peas they will tottaly get you on his good side
    Damn it Suvv!

The rest of that advice is sound though, the Haynes robot is good for a project but really you could go a lot better with not much more effort. Build yourself a strong hdpe chassis and you’ll stand up to most of the spinners, aim for around 20mm thick.

Also don’t buy a Sabretooth, they’re not great for reliability and considering FeatherTwos aren’t much more money it’s a much better investment. You’ll find a tonne of advice all over the forum so it’s worth having a look through.

Team Kaizen

Makes sense. With the jigsaw, you get what you pay for - I bought a £18 own brand jigsaw from B&Q last weekend and the blade doesn't quite line up with the guide on the base plate so I've had to mark where it is on the plate so I can cut relatively straight. My jigsaw has the same power output so yeah, should be OK with a wood cutting blade, which you can also use with HDPE as well.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by AdamST180 View Post
    Been having a think about this and as its been a long time since D&T at school going to make something with MDF before go onto HDPE.

My plan is to follow the basic layout of the flip bot to create the base and sides out of MDF and get all the electrics going so it drives around and then i have something to build from.

Would a really cheap jigsaw, like this one; https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63070 be ok to start with?
    MDF is not recommend at all, even for wood, good for prototyping but breaks really easily and HDPE is cheap (i get it from Direct Plastics and i think that is where most people get it from) and is the go to material for first bots

HDPE can be cut with Standard wood tools, using a jigsaw run it at a slow setting and don't force it. on thicker stuff (i found with 20mm+) add a bit of water to the mix to keep it from melting and closing the cut back up.

Team Kaizen

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. For a prototype robot (and as a guide for cutting in HDPE), nothing wrong with a bit of MDF or plywood.

Sounds simple enough, should i start with 20mm thick all over? Or maybe thinner for the base and top?
    This is up to you. I've done both where the thickness is the same all over with The Honey Badger and Shu! but also where the base is thinner with Kaizen. I would only go with the thinner base/top option if weight was a concern but since it isn't here, I'd go the same thickness all around.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 8th May 2018 at 12:02.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

top 10mm SHOULD be fine (as there is new gen nasty axes coming) as it has been in the past but not sure now. Base Depends on how structural it is, some bots it is just there to stop debris from getting in. Side and back (back could be 12 can't remember) on Blacksmith where 15mm and the only issue i was some bolts pulling through (Binky for you) and drumroll taking a nibble. Look at my new bot Forge Master for the damage report of Blacksmith at Manchester

Register To Comment