Register To Comment
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

Team Kaizen

Hahahahahaa, that we are Sam

It is also worth bearing in mind the extra rules regarding LiPo batteries under section 7.8.* in the build rules though they are fairly common sense ones like batteries have to be charged in a sack, battery chargers must be capable of balance charging and such.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

One of the best ways to get a sense of what is used is to come to events and see the robots up close. I guess you might have done this with the VIP tickets for Extreme Robots and/or Robots Live but if you are interested, I'll be having my heavier weight class robots on display at the BotFest event I am running in September. I'd be happy to walk you through the internals of them.

Team Kaizen

The type of fuse that can be used in the rules isn't limited, so long as it does the job of being a fuse.

With that type, I would get some ring crimp connectors, crimp the connectors on both wires (making sure to cover the exposed electrical ends in heatshrink or electrical tape), run a bolt through each ring connector to the fuse for both sides and then wrap the connections in electrical tape so nothing shorts.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 18th July 2019 at 12:16.

Redirect Left
    That's a strip fuse. you can get proper holders for them that include the bolts and a protective case.

This appears to be the right holder, with bots and snapshut protective case: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...MAAOSwPIhZ6Kcd
    Double check that is the right size case, as you can get midi and maxi strip fuses. I think you have the latter,.

Another alternative i have done at BW & FW sizes where the weight of bolts might hold you back, is soldered the wires onto the bare metal, and then heat shrinked the entire thing to encase it in a protective layer. This is a lot more lightweight than a proper holder. If you do that, write the rating of the fuse on the outer layer so its obvious to you and any tech checkers what the rating of the fuse is.

You can also get Midi & Maxi fuses off eBay, and in my experience cheaper than say from RS or other providers. Midi fuses are generally 20 to 80A, then heavy duty / maxi ones are 80 to over 250A (not all holders support stuff this highly rated). If you search ebay for "Midi fuse", you'll get all sorts of useful fuse related results for this hobby. You can also use car fuses ('Blade Fuse'), and relevant holders. Team Death use a mixture of both blade and midi/maxi fuses.
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 18th July 2019 at 13:40.

Don't give up Adam, -simply solder or get a friend to solder -A red wire 20 cm long from the removable XT link to your fuse and at the other end of the fuse solder a 20 cm length of red wire then wrap some insulation tape round the ends-job done.
    You probably won't need the TV remotes or the energy drink for this .

Register To Comment