Register To Comment

Thread: Northern England & Scotland event startup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Isn't there a old PDF on here which is outdated but had useful info on what you need construction wise for set classes of areas.

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    Isn't there a old PDF on here which is outdated but had useful info on what you need construction wise for set classes of areas.
    There is. But it's rather old, and I'm not sure the specifications on there would hold up to things like Carbide, or Apex's massive accident during the latest RW series - wouldn't probably be OK for non spinning bots though.
    For antweights, i'm thinking of repurposing a tabletop (yay IKEA), which is 100cm by 60cm, for an area of 6000cm (that's 930 inches) which i think is plenty big enough for antweights given their small size, and building a polycarb wall around it, and the wood floor (table) is far too thick to be broken by anything an antweight will generate.

I think to start with, it'll be getting an arena of sorts together that's safe, and running a get together sort of even with interested roboteers and have a day of battling for a laugh and friendly competition before anything too serious. Perhaps renting out somewhere and having a handful of roboteers come together, do some combat and share further ideas, as I doubt there will be enough interest to run a public event regarding antweight / beetleweight size watching.
    I'm sure people will appreciate a day or two of just getting their antweights and beetleweights some actual driving and battle time, even if it isn't a large event of sorts to begin with?

But i'm certainly looking at trying to introduce some people to concept of the sport and how to do it, rather than just sitting there thinking "that'd be kinda cool!"

Beetle arena will be fun to construct and test for prior to construction, especially if i'm doing spinners. I might enquire later on if there is a beetleweight team with a spinner that wouldn't mind coming and doing some tests to try and destroy a mock arena wall, best test for it, i'd say. Naturally they'll also be an additional barrier before the arena wall i'm thinking of just using some scrap scaffolding pieces to build an internal wall with, so there is no direct robot to arena wall contact, except for flips or debris and accidents involving say a huge massive lump of spinning bar hitting it...
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 23rd April 2018 at 20:13.

Register To Comment