Register To Comment

Thread: 4WD Front Hinge Flipper - Featherweight

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks guys - I was aiming for something a bit more interesting so I'm glad you agree.

Yeah, as you guys said the plan is for the flipper to roll/control robots over rather than toss them away. I have no experience with pneumatics so wanted to stay clear from that route. Firestorm's flipper was never mega fast in comparison to something like Mute or Envy and was still effective, so I think the actuator with the beefier motor should do the job.

10/10 suggestion for the polycarb - that would work without sacrificing the look of the robot. Will definitely check that out.

Also @Shooty - it's a pretty simple mounting method in which you mount the motor gearbox into the bulkhead. I'm not sure which ones you have but it might not work with the new style argos drill motors. If you check out Jamie's post in this thread you'll see what I mean: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...ll+motor+mount (It has lots of clear pictures - he explains it much better than I would be able to!) The wheels are then attached to the motors by melting in these threaded brass inserts - it's a pretty commonly used method. I'll send you a PM you about that. The linac moves out of the body of the robot when it extends. It's a bit of a tight squeeze but from tip to tip the robot is 46cm wide and 40cm long so it's already on the larger side.
    New Robot Side View.png

That's a good suggestion - I'm using an actuator mainly because it seemed simpler to me and I think it looks cooler . Probably not the best reasoning but I'm quite confident this will work. I will try sorting out the actuator first so just in case it doesn't work I can redesign for a motor + gearing setup.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 21st September 2017 at 18:49. Reason: Attachment Fix

Register To Comment