Register To Comment
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Build Log | Caractacus - Any Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Ah, I had forgotten one of your gearboxes has broke. I'd open it up and see what's going on in there first but for a replacement box, it might just be more economical to simply replace the gearbox and motor from another cordless drill, as you say.
    Yea xD I shall try take a peak in the next couple of days and see!

I'm guessing it's harder to get the standard cordless drill gearboxes new? Because I haven't really found any online. I was thinking of looking around for cheap job lots lol

Thanks again xD

Team Kaizen

The odd thing, I find, is that I can't get the gearbox on their own. I guess it's probably more economic to simply get the whole assembly premade than it is to have the parts shipped in separately. If you do end up replacing the gearbox though, you will want a like for like replacement as so to match the ratios on the other side.

However, if the gearbox is bust because of a nylon gear breaking, it makes longer term economic sense to get a pair of motors with planetary gearboxes on them which are all metal, like the Gimson range.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

The odd thing, I find, is that I can't get the gearbox on their own. I guess it's probably more economic to simply get the whole assembly premade than it is to have the parts shipped in separately. If you do end up replacing the gearbox though, you will want a like for like replacement as so to match the ratios on the other side.

However, if the gearbox is bust because of a nylon gear breaking, it makes longer term economic sense to get a pair of motors with planetary gearboxes on them which are all metal, like the Gimson range.
    IMG_20190215_122743.jpg

I'm no expert but I do believe that gearboxes are supposed to have teeth lol

It appears when the motor seized or during an impact it sheered a few teeth lol but the gearbox (apart from the outer casing) is all metal and it wasn't a plastic part that failed which leads me to believe getting an all metal one wouldn't help unless it is a hardened tool steel one or something. So currently shopping around for cheap job lots of single speed, non-hammer drills. Whats your favourite site to get this stuff from? I'm currently looking at eBay, Facebook and Gumtree lol

Thanks again!

McMullet
    I've occasionally seen a joblot of "spares or repairs" drills (argos and others) appear on eBay. As Lucy says though, you need to make sure you have the same type all round or you'll go in circles.

If those are the three gears right after the motor that have broken, I would guess it's not down to the mounting. If it was the last set of gears before the output shaft that had died, or the output shaft bearing even, that would look like an impact on the wheel. I suppose maybe the motor slipped out of the gearbox (that happened to us several times at Robodojo), and then it span enough partially meshed to damage the gears?

Team Kaizen

I've had this happen to me with Shu! where the end stage planet gears just got stripped. It wasn't that the motor was being overvolted (it was a 12V motor running on 9.9v), it was the load on the end of the lifting arm which then got stuck as the arm tried to continue moving. Torsion did the rest I should think. I seem to recall the gears being brass, which yours does too.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Will, i may have some gears from some old drills i scrapped at work, will see what teeth they are and i can send them over to you if they match and if your interested

Quote Originally Posted by McMullet View Post
    I've occasionally seen a joblot of "spares or repairs" drills (argos and others) appear on eBay. As Lucy says though, you need to make sure you have the same type all round or you'll go in circles.

If those are the three gears right after the motor that have broken, I would guess it's not down to the mounting. If it was the last set of gears before the output shaft that had died, or the output shaft bearing even, that would look like an impact on the wheel. I suppose maybe the motor slipped out of the gearbox (that happened to us several times at Robodojo), and then it span enough partially meshed to damage the gears?
    Thanks for the info! It was the gears closest to the wheel so I assume its just taken a big wack at some point in the final fight! I shall look around for some job lots xD

I've had this happen to me with Shu! where the end stage planet gears just got stripped. It wasn't that the motor was being overvolted (it was a 12V motor running on 9.9v), it was the load on the end of the lifting arm which then got stuck as the arm tried to continue moving. Torsion did the rest I should think. I seem to recall the gears being brass, which yours does too.
    Yea, i was going a bit mad in the last fight because why not, its the last fight ha ha.

What are both of your thoughts on using a 2 speed gearbox (which doesn't have hammer) and just setting the speed I want? Its becoming increasingly difficult to find single speed drills that can cope with 22.2 volts! Also had a crazy idea of setting up a servo to select which gear i want mid fight lol but this might be a daft idea! what do you think?

Thanks again!

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    Will, i may have some gears from some old drills i scrapped at work, will see what teeth they are and i can send them over to you if they match and if your interested
    That would be great! Thank you! Do you need any info like the amount of teeth etc? or is the pic good enough? Ill cover your postage too if there suitable!

Will

sent you a PM fb send me the details of the gear and i shall compare

Apologies for the slow reply again! But I have been doing a bit of digging again and its been really hard to try and find the right combination of motor and gearbox.

So my question is would it be OK to use a 2 speed gearbox and just select the gear i want to use and lock it in place? I mean i cant see why this wouldn't work but there may be something i have missed! Is the method of locking the clutch off the same for example?

The other idea i had was are the gearboxes from say the 12v variant (easier to get hold of you see) strong enough to take the abuse from an 18v motor? Obviously providing the shaft diameter is the same etc.

The only other idea i had would be to maybe get the P60 gearboxes and then buy loads of spare gears etc from them so if something strips i can just replace the gear rather than the whole box? What are your thoughts?

Sorry if these are a bit dumb dumb questions lol but I just want to make sure before i go down a particular route!

Thanks again everyone for being so amazing and patient with an idiot like me!

Register To Comment