Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How bad of an idea is this?

Thanks to all the experienced roboteers who've been replying in this thread! You've all been amazing and just so helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer newbie questions.

So. I've refined the "enormo-drum" bot idea a bit, and have elected to go with eight 6mm Hardox/similar plates welded to the outside of the now-notorious 50L Eurokeg. Powering it has proven to be an issue... until I stumbled upon this 'ere site concerning performance dirt bike engines. Of note to me was the performance listed for the second entry (I don't recall whether or not a liquid-cooled engine would be legal under Robot Wars's rules wrt chemicals, so I'm not going to chance it), at 9HP at 11k RPM for only 7.5kg in weight, plus the puncture-proof tank and enough fuel for a 5-minute fight - I say five because, well, it wouldn't do to underestimate how much fuel the thing needs and run out of puff in the middle of a battle. Not good telly. =]

Between the output of my 9HP air-cooled dirt bike motor and (I did the maths and added a bit more on to account for the teeth) a 45kg spinning drum, we might get a pretty reasonable drum spinner out of it. What are the thoughts of veteran (to say nothing of sane) roboteers on this solution?

Area of a circle is radius x radius x3.14

It's just coincidence that 4 cm diameter the same result gives for the diameter and 2 times radius.

Basic formula for hydraulic power and motor needed. Pressure x Flow/500= Kw needed.

Register To Comment