Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chassis Materials

If you do it right, the welding doesn't distort the HDPE.

And woodscrew don't cut the cheese. T and barrelnuts are the better options.

I might test my plastic welding skills on some offcuts lol

With the proper heat gun, welding is really easy - I figured it out in about 5 minutes after watching a couple of videos. For thick and structural parts of a frame, I would still use barrel nuts; they are likely to be stronger and allow you to replace damaged sections.

Nick, you figured out TIG welding , and TIG welding Ti after watching a few video's. It seems you're a natural.

But yes, HDPE welds tend to be more brittle than the base material and benefit a lot from some metal reinforcements.

Hardly a natural, I still suck at welding steel for some reason. Another reason for getting set up to weld HDPE is that the hot air gun can also be used for heat forming - 5mm HDPE bends very easily and 10mm bends with a bit of patience.

Im sure a much more experienced head will help you out but that sounds like a fine idea to me, I take it that you are building a feather?

A basic steel angle "wireframe" with bolted on HDPE sheets. Works.
    But I would suggest using other material than DIY grade steel or even worse, cheese grade ali.

I know at least 1 feather that uses hardox strips to connect the sheets.

Register To Comment