Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: inrunners or outrunners

I'm out of stock for a while indeed - will make a post on the Ranglebox thread when I have more. And yes, they're mod 0.6, which is plenty... for a featherweight.

Mod 0.6 won't handle the strain directly.
    But with an additional gearing that takes off the strain from the gears in the Saturn, it could be an option.

In Bullfrog, MOD1 gears are just enough to survive. But those are custom made and wider than normal.

For a new Heavy, we will go for a cascade. Mod 1.5 on the first stage, mod 2 or bigger for the last stage.
    Just to cope with wear and tear over the years.

Looks good Like I say in the first comment I would not put a wheel on the end of the gearbox shaft, but run a 4:1 reduction to a 200mm or smaller wheel. the speed I would be looking for is no more than about 10mph. if anything the power of that motor might be a bit high at 2.4kw.

I'm looking at using heavy duty timing belts instead of spur gears for brushless drive, as the weight of the gears detracts from the weight saving of having lighter motors. If I can get my mill to make some UHMWPE pulleys for it then even better (I'm not sure if 3D printing would quite cut it at that scale). Ideally I'd need to find a suitably low KV high power brushless that can use relatively low ratios to help stop the belts stripping on the smaller pulley. I've found a perfect setup for feathers (1.5kw 190kv motor on 6s, 4:1 to the wheels) but haven't really looked into heavy setups for this just yet.

Just as a note, VESCs don't really like high pole count and/or high KV motors too much; anything above about 80K ERPM max and they become a bit unstable. (ERPM is the RPM x the number of motor poles / 2)

By the sounds of it Ellis you might need to look into designing a 'Jupiter' gearbox soon!
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 10th April 2016 at 22:09.

Why do you think I called the Saturn the Saturn, and not Jupiter. Room for expansion!?

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :L tbf, being a planetary box I guess you could probably use Mod 1 or similar just fine as it's spread across several gears; the electric winch I had was mod 1.5 with an alu ring gear, and that was rated for massive loads...

step 1 - Create new gearbox and call it the jupiter to annoy Ellis
    step 2 - ??????
    step 3 - profit!

Step 1 - create new gearbox and call it the Uranus.
    Step 2 -???????
    Step 3 - chortle immaturely.

Just for reference on MOD1 gears, the Lambert gearboxes on Gabriel that have the big Ampflow motors driving them, with the big and I mean BIG wheels 900mm diameter have first stage MOD1 and second stage MOD 1.5 these are a standard gearbox which is not nearly as good as an epicyclic (sun and planet) style gearbox.
    so MOD 0.6 for the first stage and MOD1 for a second stage should be OK if you don't go silly on the power!
    Remember when dealing with drives for combat robots, the limiting factor it the GRIP of the tyres. you can have mega power slides that look cool but that alone doesn't win fights. if you keep the power of the unit equivalent to about 1.2Kw brushed that will be enough for most applications. if you want another Brutus just have 4 of them!

Register To Comment