No notable progress since last update, but I have been thinking. As you might know, I'm converting an already-existing linear actuator for my lifter, and I'll be using a brushless motor. One of the problems I'm facing however, is limit switches. I'm pretty sure the way the current limit switches in the linac work is that when depressed, they divert the current through a diode, meaning the motor can only run the opposite way until the switch is released again. This is obviously fine for a brushed motor, but since a brushless motor has three leads which require the timed input from the ESC, I can't use that. Basically I want it so that when the linac reaches its limit, the motor stops, and can only run in the opposite direction.

Now the idea I came up with today was to create a separate little board which switches two of the input wires to the motor (with a FET or something) when either switch is pressed. As far as I know, this should make the motor run in the opposite direction until the switch is released, and then switch back. I'm unsure about this for a couple of reasons though. One is that this will probably make the linac jitter at its limits, depending on the switching frequency, positioning of the switch, etc. This wouldn't be so bad on its own, because all I really need the switches for is stopping the gear system or motor from being damaged, they'd just be a safety measure in case I didn't take my hand off the transmitter in time. But the other thing is, when this 'jittering' is happening, would the quickly changing current fry the board and/or my motor? Otherwise, does anyone know how to integrate this kind of one-way limit switch behaviour for a brushless motor? I don't quite want to go to the lengths of making a custom ESC just yet, this is still my first robot after all. I also don't want to have my actual ESC turn off at any point, since there's a startup time in which the weapon would be inoperable. Has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers guys.