Hello all,

I'm brand new to the hobby and I'm looking to build a robot and find some competitions to shoot for. I'm a mechanical engineering student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, FL, and if I can build something for a reasonable amount of money to demonstrate I am going to attempt to start a combat robot club here and maybe, if all goes well, get an east coast intercollegiate series going.

Big plans aside, I have about two weeks before I'm on winter break. I have years of experience building and flying RC airplanes, I can weld, I've worked with carbon fiber and fiberglass before, etc. I don't have a ton of time or a ton of money to work with, but I'd like to build myself a robot.

I'd like to be able to compete, so basically the active competitions will dictate what class robot I attempt to build. I think I could do anything from featherweight to middleweight, depending on how much equipment repurposing I am able to do and what components cost. I already have a nice 1500W 24v power supply and an FMA powerlab 6 charger that can do all chemistries, a JR x9303 2.4g 9ch airplane radio as well as a 7ch 72mhz radio, all kinds of large 3s-6s lipo and SLA batteries, and other misc RC gear.

Basically, I just need a rundown on what is active where, where to source cheap or repurpose-able parts (motors, ESCs, wheels, chain, stuff like that), and I guess any other advice, tips, and resources you have.

In the future if I can build a demo bot or two I may come back seeking advice on starting a club or team, but that's down the road.
Also, I know this is a UK forum but I'm sure you guys can help at least partially, and if you know of an active US forum that would also be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

Nick