Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What not to do!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3. Wow
    Last edited by grant_ploughbot; 4th October 2014 at 20:17.

There was another event recently that only used crowd control barriers to protect the crowd. Didn't end up going so well for a number of people

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...tunt-show.html

There was also that incident a few months back in India.

Whilst taking fighting robots half way around the world is cool, the same rules and regs governing both the robots and the arenas must surely follow.

6. This is RR/RW in Australia, we're heading out to Singapore in a few weeks. It's a shame to see arena's like this still being used, we're working closing with the Singapore organisers to make sure we have a safe arena to run in when we arrive.

As with Robots Live, we have run events in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and although very expensive had to get an entire arena built to the same specs as ours in the UK. There have been lots of enquiries but we have to turn them down if safety isn't meeting the FRA guildlines. It could ruin it for all of us if the worst was to happen

Manslaughter charges anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by marto View Post
    OK I just saw this earlier today. And let me say its a little F*&%ed.

Nobody from Australia is attending this event as we are hosting our Nationals competition in a separate state otherwise I hope someone would have said something to the organisers.

Oh and here is a video which makes it look worse.

I really want to know what happened here as initially we were in talks with EB to do the event for our nationals competition however after a few months they dropped off talks and then announced Robot Wars was Coming for the First Time from the UK. *sigh*

I don't really care too much as we are more interested in the compeition not the show which is always difficult to balance at these sorts of events. However I really want to know what the hell happened with the arena.

What I am guessing happened was that EB said they would make the arena (something which they promised us) then the guys showed up there and this is what they got. Not sure if this is likely or not but I really want an explanation. As one person getting hurt is the difference between us never being able to run a public event ever again and this is just bullshit.

For anyone who is interested in what a real Australian Feather only arena looks like.
    https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...58075653_n.jpg
    Notice the 6mm polycarb and steel......
    I want it to be known that we would never run Heavies in a mesh cage in front of the public.

That ends my rant.

Steve
    It's probably quite simple really as to why they went with Jonno. If your given the option of 2 clients and one brands themselves as the "official TV show" then that's what they're going to go for. The fact is that other than some logos it's just RR.
    They most likely had a deal to build the arena, but it's their duty to make multiple trips to go and see the arena designs and building throughout the process to make sure well in advance that there is a safe arena being produced, and if not call the show off. It's irresponsible not just because their insurances almost certainly won't cover anything, but with the robot wars brand being used we all fall under that image and so it has far greater effects on other organisers around the world to if they were just called roaming Robots.
    I think it's about due for another FRA meeting.

Register To Comment