Register To Comment
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Wheels for drill-gearboxes?

So does anyone know of any other wheels that can be fitted to drill motor shafts?

Or is going to be a case of making them from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    The hex hole wheels I have used in the past secure onto a hex hub. The bore of the hub as around 0.5mm larger than a drill motor but a thin copper shim allowed it to be used. I'm not sure what the current status of banebots manufacture is.
    When I checked Bangbots it says the bores on their wheels are now 1/2 instead of 3/4.

Yeah the 3/4" hex was the one that was suitable for drill motors with a threaded 3/8" mounting hole. The best option is to make your own now, with the most common method being to melt a 3/8" UNF nut into a plain bore plastic wheel. I did this by sitting the nut on an 80W soldering iron for a minute or so then pressing it into the plastic. Bit of a tricky process to get the nut both concentric and straight so that your wheel doesn't wobble but usually good enough for the job. Not the strongest method as it can wear down over time causing the wheel to come off, but should do the job for a few events at least.

Either plain bore Banebots wheels (with the bore drilled out to 12mm) or the blue wheels from Bearing Boys are the favoured options available at the moment, but anything with no bigger than a 12mm bore should work. I found that if the bore was bigger than 12mm, there wouldn't be enough plastic to melt around the nut, resulting in a weaker connection.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Yeah the 3/4" hex was the one that was suitable for drill motors with a threaded 3/8" mounting hole. The best option is to make your own now, with the most common method being to melt a 3/8" UNF nut into a plain bore plastic wheel. I did this by sitting the nut on an 80W soldering iron for a minute or so then pressing it into the plastic. Bit of a tricky process to get the nut both concentric and straight so that your wheel doesn't wobble but usually good enough for the job. Not the strongest method as it can wear down over time causing the wheel to come off, but should do the job for a few events at least.

Either plain bore Banebots wheels (with the bore drilled out to 12mm) or the blue wheels from Bearing Boys are the favoured options available at the moment, but anything with no bigger than a 12mm bore should work. I found that if the bore was bigger than 12mm, there wouldn't be enough plastic to melt around the nut, resulting in a weaker connection.
    so in theory the new Banebots wheels could be used if I mod them

Register To Comment