Register To Comment
Page 23 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Oddetsey

Cleo recieves a vial of liquid whose label suggests it will somehow improve her psionic powers on consumption.

Professor Vengeance is given a street map of the city, and the Church and the Cathedral are both circled.
    Last edited by alex_holt; 4th March 2014 at 11:55.

Okay, this was getting unbearable. Eudial's arms were really starting to bother her. If an anime sweatdrop could have appeared above her head, it would have. "God damn it! My arms... what's happening?!" she panicked. "Does anyone have any itch reliever???"

"God damn it! My arms... what's happening?!" she panicked. "Does anyone have any itch reliever???"
    Gaunt's eye's lit up! Finally the chance at making a sale had arrived! He pulled the mysterious bottle of aftershave out of one of his pockets and waved his hand over it. The label on it seemed to change slightly.

"Itch reliever?" Gaunt asked. "Well not completely. This is actually mostly meant for burns I believe, but in a pinch would do for other kinds of irritation."

This was only a lie at face value. Gaunt's products strongly favored the placebo effect. If she wanted it to relieve her pain, it would. For someone else? Not so much.

"I'd be more than willing to give it to you." Gaunt then put on his most charming salesmen smile "I would only ask the small compensation of, say, 10 of these credits we've found."

The aftershave was completely worthless to him, and 10 credits was enough of a compensation so as to not seem outlandish and appear a bargain for the relief he was offering. Ordinarily he would add on a prank here, but there was no value in causing mischief (at least not with the information he had to work with), so he would settle for what he really needed: more supplies.

"What do you say my dear? Do we have a deal?"

Relief! It was what Eudial wanted so badly, and it was so near. And anyway 10 credits seemed like a logical trade-off. What would she be able to get in this weird universe with these credits anyway? But as she rummaged through her belongings, a particularly nasty scrape finally broke through her skin, and her blood tickled out a bit. She winced; as she did so, her fingers hit something not the fabric out of her outfit. And at that touch, the merest thought of an echo passed through her mind.

Don't trust any of the others, especially Vengeance.

That was true. But then again, Eudial argued in her mind, Gaunt had no reason to be so devious. Cheap pranks were not beyond him, but he would gain nothing from it. Then again, she had beheld his true form already, and wouldn't put it past him to try and profit for only himself. A demon's charm only went so far if they knew its true nature.

Truthfully, the itching pains were subsiding, though the bleeding cut stung Eudial like a mad hornet. She withdrew her hands and examined her arms for a moment. Then she looked up at the old salesman.

"It... appears that my pains have been but a passing memory," she simpered. "All except for... well..." she glanced at the cut, and then at the bottle. "Relieving itches is one thing, but putting that on an open wound would likely make it much worse, so I will have to turn down your offer... for now," Eudial added. Good save. "Nonetheless I will keep it in mind, should this return to trouble me. Don't auction it off to anyone else yet."

She looked up and growled, red-faced. If the other Witches dare found out about this, she would have all 4 of them roasted on a spit.

Marisa himm'd and hawww'd over her choices. She always kept coming back to the guy with the lightning and the fish though. How did he manage to get that fish to fit in his pants? The other choices looked interesting but if he could fit a fish in his pants what else could fit?!

Her choice made, Marisa went and grabbed her key.

Hearing Eudial complain about her burning hands, Marisa pondered a moment and asked, "Hey, why don't you go buy some gloves later or something? Maybe covering your hands would help with your knife problem. And then if that doesn't work you'll have burn heal AND nice gloves."

It sounded like a good idea to her, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Future!Prof Vengeance
    "Well yes that goes without saying - I wouldn't trust ghostly spectral old me if I appeared out of the blue - which is why I quickly point out two things before I fail to answer your barrage of questions. Firstly, I'm not actually you - I'm one of those mental imprint thingies - you know - Jor-El in the Fortress of Solitude deals. Secondly, I'm actually a younger you. Yes. The Face. I know. You've been to this universe before. Twice! Fortunately for you escaping it was a whole Narnia type deal - get out and de-ages you, though apparently it may cause severe permanent damage to most of the memories between getting here and getting out. Apparently you must have thought it worth the risk, though bugger me if I know why, you didn't see fit to copy me that completely.
    An old me claiming to be a past me telling me I've been here before while overtly dodging the whole "why" thing? Yep, sounds like me all right.

Anyway, according to my computers you've got the deliveries - took a bit to wrangle those to here, it should have included some special watches - they are counting down to the point where the forces outside the shield will break through and begin the chain reaction that will destroy the multiverse. Not something I'm thrilled by even if I am only a simulation.
    Ahh, so you're responsible for our goody bags back in prison. That explains the exquisite taste in gifts at any rate. I must write down where you got that pocket-watch done before I leave this world and forget I was here to begin with.

I don't know what exactly is going on, but the readings suggest that thing up there has the same energy signature Doomforall's void staff. It's probably his fault somehow. On the plus side, if you save the multiverse from him, that is both a win over him and probably will net you loads of people signing fealty to you!".
    Doomforall! I knew that wimpy wizard was behind this idiocy! Well, as much as I hate to admit it, you may have a point on chipping in with the rescue effort. Being a superhero isn't half as much fun as supervillainy, but if Doomy's black hole bungle ravages reality there won't be anywhere left to have that fun.

Urgh. Fine. I'll be...slightly less than tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Our Humble Narrator
    Professor Vengeance is given a street map of the city, and the Church and the Cathedral are both circled.
    Aha! Now we're getting somewhere! Now to get this whole relic nonsense sorted out!

I say, one more thing. You wouldn't have any proof for my, ah, "companions" that you're the genuine article, would you? I'm just think they'll have a hard time believing me if I burst through next door raving about how my elderly past self gave them their toys and that my pocket watch is really the clock to oblivion. Am I to assume I thought that far ahead, or will I have to play the cards close to the chest?

Marisa pulls out what appears to be a small satchel that was possibly originally made from an old pair of trousers. The item seems to be running low on power, and the very fact the fabric has survived these thousands of years is incredible. It appears to be able to produce one random item per (real world) day, although many of these items will be fish.

"Well my creator... I *could* tell everyone about the Venice Gallery incident... you know the one with the nuns, the fishnet stockings and the bactrian camel... I'm sure that would do massive good for our credibility, but if I *have* to prove myself..."

*The hologram smirks*

"On the downside, you give me more credit that I can claim. I mean that literally unfortunately. You programmed me to be incapable of lying to you, although just as capable as you at lying to anyone else. Until Doomforall vanished I was locked in his relic vaults, and it wasn't until he vanished that standards lapsed enough for me to effect an escape. Also, I can't claim any part in the items you recieved when you arrived in this world, those were all random things you accumulated from bouncing off other worlds on the way down to this one. On the plus side, a bunch of useful items from each implies that you are probably fairly awesome regardless of which dimension they are from. Although I have to say that personally you are probably better off crushing them and stealing any cool stuff they have.

I see a couple of ways forward here:

Go to Doomforall's vaults in the Cathedral, there is something there left for you, quite possibly by Doomforall himself. I don't know what it is though, and I wouldn't rule out it being some sort of trap.

The only group who definitly seem to know what's going on down here are the psy-corps, they seem to be repressing panic to keep the city moving, but when you have a brain that collects secret just by standing near them they are bound to be messed up in this.

Also, the defence seems to be being organized by the only planned arrival in centuries - a Gryphon named Anjushree, it turned up in the chambers and immediately involved itself in the defense effort, the suggestion being that we would all already be dead without it suggests it might be worth looking up.

Lastly, you might want to find out what you can about the Old Worlds Society, it's very difficult to track them down, but essentially they are a small group of survivors of the last multiverse. If nothing else knowing how to survive the end of this one is probably a good thing to know.

There may be other leads, but these are all I have right now - should I come up with anything, I can contact you through the watch.

Oh, and of course this goes without saying, but watch your back - from what I've seen so far a few members of your party would happily stab them in the back given the choice. Can I suggest making sure you remain as valuable to them as possible..."

"Well my creator... I *could* tell everyone about the Venice Gallery incident... you know the one with the nuns, the fishnet stockings and the bactrian camel... I'm sure that would do massive good for our credibility, but if I *have* to prove myself..."

*The hologram smirks*
    Oh yes, that is the me that I know and love.

...And I thought I'd agreed never to bring that up again? Not in public, anyway.

"On the downside, you give me more credit that I can claim. I mean that literally unfortunately. You programmed me to be incapable of lying to you, although just as capable as you at lying to anyone else. Until Doomforall vanished I was locked in his relic vaults, and it wasn't until he vanished that standards lapsed enough for me to effect an escape. Also, I can't claim any part in the items you recieved when you arrived in this world, those were all random things you accumulated from bouncing off other worlds on the way down to this one. On the plus side, a bunch of useful items from each implies that you are probably fairly awesome regardless of which dimension they are from. Although I have to say that personally you are probably better off crushing them and stealing any cool stuff they have.
    Oh well, free stuff is free stuff. And I'm as up for crushing and nicking as you are, my past future self, but you know what they say - "You're never alone with a Lackey".

"I see a couple of ways forward here:

Go to Doomforall's vaults in the Cathedral, there is something there left for you, quite possibly by Doomforall himself. I don't know what it is though, and I wouldn't rule out it being some sort of trap.

The only group who definitly seem to know what's going on down here are the psy-corps, they seem to be repressing panic to keep the city moving, but when you have a brain that collects secret just by standing near them they are bound to be messed up in this.

Also, the defence seems to be being organized by the only planned arrival in centuries - a Gryphon named Anjushree, it turned up in the chambers and immediately involved itself in the defense effort, the suggestion being that we would all already be dead without it suggests it might be worth looking up.

Lastly, you might want to find out what you can about the Old Worlds Society, it's very difficult to track them down, but essentially they are a small group of survivors of the last multiverse. If nothing else knowing how to survive the end of this one is probably a good thing to know.

There may be other leads, but these are all I have right now - should I come up with anything, I can contact you through the watch.

Oh, and of course this goes without saying, but watch your back - from what I've seen so far a few members of your party would happily stab them in the back given the choice. Can I suggest making sure you remain as valuable to them as possible..."
    Let's see. Cathedral vaults...brain police...General Gryphon...survivors of the previous multiverse. Heh. Previous multiverse. How very Adams of it all.

I don't know about that lot next door or that rotten old prophecy, but I'd sooner trust a doomsday weapon in my hands than any of the other weirdoes in this town. I'll see if I can wrangle a few of those Charlies over to West-Vengeance Abbey and loot the tombs.

And come on, me, when am I not invaluable?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowflare View Post
    Hearing Eudial complain about her burning hands, Marisa pondered a moment and asked, "Hey, why don't you go buy some gloves later or something? Maybe covering your hands would help with your knife problem. And then if that doesn't work you'll have burn heal AND nice gloves."
    Ugh. This was the stereotypical witch. Pointed hat, broomstick, and all. Nothing at all reminiscent of the Witch group Eudial was part of... except for that hair. Which reminded her of... no, she mustn't let her mind wander over to that wench.

Eudial had intentionally avoided talking with Marisa, because of the blonde's silly demeanour, but now ignorance was not an option... especially since Marisa was trying to make a helpful suggestion. She turned her gaze onto Marisa, and chuckled darkly.

"Hmhmhm... aren't you the thoughtful one," said Eudial. "Well, while I do appreciate your concern, I think you'll find that such fashion would be a hindrance to me than a benefit. But thanks for the tip."

Turning away from Marisa and Gaunt, she took out the watch that had come from the casket, and examined it. Eudial suddenly realized that she had no idea what day, month, year it was, or even time of the hour, so this watch practically told her nothing. Great... well what good was this supposed to be?! Oh yeah... sighed Eudial, I have to ask somebody what the date is...

Raising her voice, she inquired "I'd like to know what specific date this is... if anyone knows, that is."

Register To Comment