Register To Comment

Thread: Evisceration

Hello all. I’ve wanted to do a beetleweight vertical for some time now; in fact this one has been stuck in design purgatory since I started it in September (!) last year, then put it on the backburner when life happened. After spending some time with RPM, learning bits and pieces from the experts (Haz, Ellis, Alex), and now that life has calmed down a bit, I reckon I’m ready to embark on this build.
    The design started as a stupidly compact and tiny thing that was 180mm wide, smothered in titanium and was on target to weigh about 1.4kg with an 8mm version of the same disc used on the new version. Then I realised that it would be totally off balance and kill itself, as well as being an arse to manufacture given my lack of tools. So I set about totally redesigning it around an old RPM baseplate I had:

1000rpm eBay motors for drive
    48mm blue Banebots wheels
    Nano Tech 4S 1000mAh LiPo
    BotBitz 10A ESCs
    NTM 2830 1200kv brushless outrunner
    YEP 30A ESC
    Bulkheads will be 8mm 6082 T651 Ali, armour is 5mm HDPE layered on 1.5mm mild steel, bolted to a 1.5mm Grade 5 Ti base. Lid is 2mm polycarb (just because coolness). Disc is 225g, 130mm diameter single tooth cut from 4mm Hardox, 1.5:1 ratio gives ~12000rpm on the disc and 180mph tip speed. Bite depth is approx. 12mm, kinetic energy is roughly 370J. Drive top speed on 4S and 48mm wheels is 7mph. Theoretical weight is 1.45kg; it’ll probably end up heavier but at least I have some room for error, even if it’s only 50g.
    Thoughts?

Parts have begun arriving, brushless and two 4S 1000mAh lipos (one for this one, one for RPM) and masses of steel and ali:

Register To Comment