Register To Comment
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Rango - Build diary

Looks great really neat and compact can't wait to see the drum on it

That all looks awesome Ellis! Looks like we are both taking a step up in terms of engineering and quality!

We have been saying it for 3 years, we need to have a fight and a tug of war!

That'd be well funny to watch...no shirts or shoes. Then we could go back to the robot stuff...

Rofl^ / cheers guys, yeah it's a bitsy thing, about to get even bitsier with electronics mounting. Want to actually mount the internals in Rango, because some guy designed it with a load of belts going everywhere. Going to mean a lot of small standoffs and tiny plates!

Also, the wedge has been watercut, and Mario has already welded it up. He's doing some work for T2 as well, so it'll be couriered to here sometime next week, hopefully alongside. It's 3.2mm hardox and weighs 1kg.

It's slot-and-tab to make positioning for welding straightforward, and the mounting brackets are slotted so I can set the height depending on who I'm fighting, or leave it loose and have it *hopefully* completely ground-scraping.

The pulleys are now bolted to the wheels which allows me to see where exactly the belts will all pass, so I can now start to position internals around them and devise mounts. Not done much buildy stuff today, the chassis is on the floor and I'm throwing speed controllers at it to see how they fit.
    Last edited by Ellis; 28th March 2014 at 16:37.

Looking good Ellis... like how your putting a lot of thought into everything =)

In regards to those motor shaft protectors... great idea, just make sure you get some full length sleeves/standoff tubes on those bolts if you can... will be much stronger if the base of the standoffs can press up against the motor casing rather than resting on the shaft bearing neck like you have now in the pic (will reduce unwanted sideways flex)

I'm assuming you have them where they currently are, because they are too large in external diameter to slide past the bearing neck, but if you get some longer standoffs, and use a grinder/dremel/flatfile... you'll be able to remove some material off of one side of the standoffs, so that they slide down to the motor case end.
    Obviously you wouldn't need to file the whole side down, just the length that would need to pass the bearing neck on the motor casing.

Possibly overkill... but another thought might be to get a washer and a thrust bearing in between the gear face and the brass bushing you have there... then again it does look like you could be pressed for length on the protruding shaft *giggdy
    so you could mill a larger hole in the brass bushing you have there, then lathe a brass collar that fits over the shaft but inside that recess in the end gear... then the thrust bearing could be cupped by your retainer and sit on the top face of the lathed brass sleeve.

If your gram counting and are wanting to be this meticulous, you could tack weld some needle bearing cartridges onto those steel plates you have holding the brass bushing instead...

food for thought, that my random 2 pence in anyways haha

Hi RoboLibre. Thanks for the post. The standoffs fit fine and are free to go wherever, it looks like they clash but they are clear of the motor boss by miles. They're the short length they are because the 10mm thick motor mount plate (not yet made up) is what they tighten onto, and I can easily adjust their length for a nice frictionless support on the motor shaft. I don't think a bearing in there is worth it; space is very limited (12mm OD is the limit) and the bronze should last plenty long enough for a competition or two. Can always make up spares. I cleaned up the front of the pinions so that they are smooth, with a bit of grease wear should be minimal. The bronze doesn't even touch the gear under no load anyway.

Have tested the motor with and without the support and there is no audible difference, no heat in the bush and no apparent issue change in start up speed. That's without any grease.

It'll be just fine lol.

Sorry for the double post. Been testing the electrical side of the machine, and have come across an issue. I suspect (and sincerely hope) the problem here is born from lack of knowledge and general noobiness. Any help appreciated.

I sound all racey in the video, was a bit disappointed, I wanted it to go whizz!

Thanks.

Are you phases correct on the motor, are they both matched ie non sensored, if so sounds like a dead motor never had that problem before on a model car setup ran many over the years

Register To Comment