Register To Comment
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Rango - Build diary

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...fs-and-Spacer/

He made them, but you can buy them as well. This may be helpful for you ^

I made them on my small Chinese lathe. They were actually a pain to make, turning them accurately between centres on a not-that-rigid machine was difficult and took way longer than it should. Happily, though, they all nicely slip into the pockets machined (thousands of miles away!) in the bulkheads. It's amazing how rigid they are, even just finger-tight.

Tonight I finished the faces of the last wheel. Tomorrow I'll probably throw them all on a mandrel and turn the OD. I'll be glad to get past making the nylon parts of the wheels, it's a weird combination of super easy to turn and a schlep because every second pass you have to stop the machine and clear the barbie-hair.

Did you turn down the OD of the spacers or just face off each end then drill and tap each end?

Faced, drilled and tapped both ends and then turned the OD. I have 18mm rod which would fit into the pockets in the bulkheads, but my lathe's chuck is crap and the bolt holes would be eccentric to the point of the bolt not lining up once in the bulkheads.

Looks rather good so far, going to be a cool one to see in the arena! How thick are those bulkheads too, 20mm?

They're 15mm. I would have liked to use 20mm for the sheer chunkiness but there was no way I'd get it in weight. As it stands it's going to be hard to get it under!

There will be 20mm HDPE down the sides, though, so hopefully that keeps out most of the nasties.

More pretendo-botting. The pulleys are just running on bolts so I could see what the belt tension is like, and to take a picture. Pulley distances feel about right. If anything they might be the slightest bit taught, so in running they should loosen just a bit and run nicely.

Looking really nice man

Must be heavier than I thought, then! I think 15mm will be by far enough though for bulkheads, especially just for a smaller drum. Definitely going to be one to watch!

Register To Comment