Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Armour ideas / materials

Hi. Thought I'd put a post on here as I'm also 15 and in the middle of my GCSEs and I find everything you've said easy to relate to.

First of all I don't want to discourage building a heavyweight at all! I think your enthusiasm is great and we don't have enough people who want to build a heavyweight, for whatever reason. Having said that, I think it would be quite a huge task for any fifteen year old. I've been involved with this hobby for nine years now and I think I would just about manage to get something going by myself, but I would struggle, I doubt by any means it'd be a top robot straight away, if at all!

Having read this thread the impression I get is that you want to build a heavyweight to gain experience for the career you want to go into in the future and to look good on an application for university. With regards to the experience side of this, I don't personally think (having been involved with the build of both heavyweight and featherweight robots) you get much, if any, more experience out of building a heavy than a feather. The theory and practices behind both are more or less the same, the main reason heavyweights take so much longer to build is due to the difficulty of building something on such a larger scale. Even simple things such as moving the robot about, turning it over, can be difficult when you're first building it and don't have the luxury of the hydraulic trollies everyone resorts to buying! With regards to value in a university application, featherweights and heavyweights of similar designs are often just as complicated to design and build. Inside, Explosion and Eruption are extremely similar in terms of complexity (besides custom build gearboxes, but many feathers have these too!), the only added difficulty for Eruption was the scale as I've mentioned. I assure you building any sophisticated feather, be it pneumatic flipper, axe or spinner will look impressive coming from a fifteen year old (who's not yet an engineer and/or had years of experience like most of the top robot builders!).

One thing you said that jumped out at me was that you've got a few projects planned and once you've finished this one you'll move onto the next. I may be mistaken but based off this I'm not too sure you know what you'd be getting into building a heavyweight, I'm sure anyone who's built one will assure you it takes quite a large amount of commitment. With regards to Eruption, it cost £3000, and took nine months to build (and that considering that the main builder of the robot was an engineer with 20+ years experience). I can't quite understand how you could justify this investment of time and money then just to move onto your next project.

As for myself, equally my aim is of course one day to build a heavyweight by myself, but I don't feel I'm ready for that yet. I'm built a feather this year for the first time completely by myself. It took me four months to build it (admittedly it would have only taken two months if it wasn't for my weekends being taken up by numerous robot events), but it did take longer than I imagined, and it was more difficult than I first imagined also. I took it to the Gadget Show Live and it only had one fight due to an ESC failure, but when it worked it worked well and I know exactly what to do to make it a serious competitor for next year. Of course I love driving Explosion and Eruption, (and Explosion will continue to be my favourite robot of all time ), but I got a much larger sense of satisfaction out of driving something I'd built all by myself, and that's what's made me decide I want to build my own heavyweight to run alongside Eruption sometime in the future. Even after nine years in this hobby, building a feather completely by myself taught me so much and in hindsight was definitely the most logical step to make.

I don't want to put you off building a heavy at all, in fact I'd encourage you to do so, but I'd advise it's best to build up to that. I'd first advise you to build a featherweight version of what you want to build, and perfect the design and gain experience before moving onto a heavyweight. That's what we did and it worked as Explosion's the UK champ and Eruption won Robot Wars only a few weeks ago

Hope that gives you something to think about!

The roll cage is a weak point, or something so heavy it will diminish the rest of the robot. A good selfrighter ain't that easy to do either. It has to be fast-or else the flipper will be waiting- and strong enough to be shoved around when selfrighting.

Ok Thank you for putting the time and effort into the response that sums up the entire thread. I'm not just looking at this as a university application. Its something I can keep adding to as time progresses and I'm expecting it to take at least a year before I think about active weapons. I'm also fully aware of how costs can add up. For example I needed a new computer, so I decided I was going to build a new budget pc by myself. I originally set out a budget for around £500 and after adding a custom liquid cooling system and a Intel i7 with overclocking enabled I had reached a total of just below £2000.

I not afraid of spending big money. I know that scaling up increases the workload and difficulty. I do already have a garage with a chain lift system I can used to work around (not under) the robot and am prepared to invest in a arc welding setup for the whole construction, and any other tools required.

Yes there appears there's not much gain for going heavy but I look at it this way. I want to be able to show my ability to adapt to different situations. I have done many medium sized projects before and I guess the phrase "Go Big or Go Home" is a understatement for what I'm trying to do.

I'm not looking at 1 month then bang broken robot. I will gather all the electronics for a rolling chassis then do wood concepts refining the shape and design then begin with metal work once I have my final shape I will then begin installing active weapons.

P.S. where you talking about Gadget show live 2012? because I was there and I remember seeing the stand there. (inspiration for this project along with the original robot wars when I was a kid)

I will keep everyone posted on how my design changes and what's going on. I must say sorry for ignoring 50% of the advice that contains the word featherweight and I look forward to asking more annoying questions.

Jon, any idea what kind of power your avarage "good flipper" has? Most aim for

It will take a humongous axe to keep those down. Even with jackhammering galore.

From the sound of it you will be fine going for a heavyweight. Out of interest where are you based?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Smith View Post
    Berkshire UK and Maddox would 11339.8Kg of force be enough to keep flippers shut? I just found a fairly nice Actuator capable of that kind of force.
    Is that going to 11K at the tip of the grabber? How do you plan to get underneath the flippers? Even if you do manage to trap the flipper, what are you able to do before your 30 second advantage is up & you have to let them go? Bearing in mind, they have digger scoop steel lids.

Register To Comment