Register To Comment
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Expat - Beetleweight Adventures

So you'll just use the first stage of the drill gearbox? How are you holding the 3 planet gears still? Or are you just using the second stage then holding the output shaft of the drill gearbox still and using that as you axel?

I don't think he's using either stage, looks like the motor will engage directly with the ring gear. I imagine the hole-shaped object (possibly a hole :P) in the HDPE hub will be where the axle/shaft goes.

I'm not going to use any other drill parts, just the ring gear and the motor itself. The setup will run like this:

I'm off to Lisbon today to meet Alex, who's on holiday, and Guilherme. I cut a strip of 4cm tall 2mm steel this morning, which when I get back I'll bend around the wheel, to hold the axle, motor face, and be armour of sorts. I don't know how it's possible that I've gone from the weapon-ed beetle to focusing on this in about 36 hours, but I have!

Did some more fiddling yesterday.

The steel was a pain in the behind to bend, just don't have the right tools and work surfaces to do it. It came out alright though. It's really heavy, as I expected, at over 200g for the steel alone. I'll be lightening it eventually.

The reason it's seemingly so oversized is because I'm building it to allow for the larger tyres shown above. 30mph is just too attractive a prospect to ignore! The gap between the two folds behind the motor is to take 10mm HDPE, which will fit into the mirror of this piece on the other side too. The robot will be built around the resulting H shape.

Next is to drill all the holes in the right places, wang a few nuts and bolts in, and stick a battery on it!

Brilliant . No one will be able to catch it!

Will film a test video in the morning.

And yes this is far too heavy, at over 500g for this alone. I think I can deal with that though.
    Last edited by Ellis; 21st August 2013 at 22:47.

Just an idea which will save you weight and the hassle of bending the steel...why dont you use a rectangular section aluminium, and bolt on two angles on it for holding the hdpe...It will be much easier and accurate imho

.adbc.jpg

When I first saw this I assumed it was Ali box section.

You could use the wheel surrounds as armour too.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftoff View Post
    Just an idea which will save you weight and the hassle of bending the steel...why dont you use a rectangular section aluminium, and bolt on two angles on it for holding the hdpe...It will be much easier and accurate imho

.adbc.jpg
    That would be the alternative plan. I did it this way because I have the steel already, and I'm hoping to go as far as possible without spending a dime on this particular build. I could either do the box section trick (if I can find it big enough, which won't be very cheap) or build it out of HDPE/Nylon, which would still be lighter.

I intend to essentially mount everything off these steel plates, the base and top won't be much more than any 1mm plastic, to hold the wires in!

I do have some nice red anodised checkerplate ali which I could use, just a tad reluctant to use it because it's so pretty. :P

Register To Comment