Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting Robot Wars pullbacks to RC...

PJ: It is indeed the only problem is that the Pololu HP and BotBitz UHP motors that a lot of top antweights are using now draw up to a couple of amps of current, so on their own they're only really safe for use with the lower current Solarbotics/Sanyo motors and various types available on eBay. Peter Waller (for he is everywhere in ants) has used the recievers to make a 5g speed controller/reciever combo capable of 2.4A on two channels and a weapon output though...then again, he built a 14g robot using one of the speedo/reciever combo boards!

Marvin: Sorry for the confusion, I just reasoned that ants in themselves are hardly new (the first Antweight World Series was in 1999 and we've just had AWS 40!). An all pullback/replica tournament would be interesting though - would have to get going on my antweight Flirty Skirty...
    Last edited by joey_picus; 19th April 2013 at 17:42. Reason: I liked Flirty Skirty - it had stripes and stripes are always a good thing on robots

How do I go about buying one of the Peter Waller boards? They sound ideal.

They aren't officially for sale due to complex legal reasons (it costs a lot of complex legal money to get them approved as sale products) but you can contact him on the RW101 forums and see if he's willing to make a prototype for you, given proper monetary compensation of course For alternatives you're generally looking at either a pair of single channel controllers (hacked brushless, hacked servo boards, or the Fingertechs for which postage is ridiculous - and I say that being presently only one province away from them...) or something programmable like the Pololu Baby-O which a few people have used.

I've used the Waller controllers in virtually all my antweights (I do have an old dual channel SOZBOTS board which is good, if a bit heavy, but they've stopped making those) and never had a problem with them, and naturally as Peter's at all the ant events customer service is absolutely excellent!

Register To Comment