Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting Robot Wars pullbacks to RC...

In all my infinite originality, I've decided to convert a couple of my old Robot Wars pullbacks to RC for a bit of a laugh in the three months I've got off post exams, but I am a bit stuck in terms of how I'm going to do it for the simple fact that there's not enough space to use a typical ant motor controller along with motors, batteries receivers and all that. The ones I'm trying to convert are Panic Attack, Tornado, Chaos 2 and Hypnodisc, the last of which will be very problematic indeed, given how small the 'shell' part is...

So, I thought I'd ask in here - does anyone know of any micro speed controllers/motor drivers, motors, receivers and batteries that'd all fit in a 2cmx2cmx1.5cm square (rough measurements)? I'm needing 3 outputs on it too, for left/right wheel drive and a weapon... I know that's insanely optimistic, but I thought I'd ask before giving up...

Thanks!

http://www.deltang.co.uk/rx43d.htm
    Ok, they aren't going to be big motors...

Funnily enough, I'm working on an antweight the size of a minibot. Just building the shell in CAD.

Jamie managed Chaos 2. I believe he had to dremel out pretty much all the insides though.

Yeah, no chance of re-assembling it as a toy after modding it. Never got it 100% working though and lost interest in it but still got it kicking about and might try again some point. Used small servos the last time but they were both slow and weak. I reckon the micro gear motors would probably work quite nicely for it (and most other pullbacks).

If you have two motors in Panic Attack set up in diagonal orientation, that would give a 4WD-esque performance and free up some internal space. A servo for the lifting forks (the sliding mech is already there), a small 4ch receiver and some servo boards to control the drive motors would see that one easily converted to full RC.

People have run the normal 12mm gearmotors used in ants on the DT boards, so it's very possible I know the Tornado one has also been converted before and run at past World Series events and not done all that badly too...

Ah, fantastic! Thanks very much everyone!
    Going to get cracking on Panic Attack and Tornado first, I think then!

I'd love to see the Chaos 2 in action at an ant event sometime too, could have a mini Robot Wars All Stars tournament going off haha!

new weight class?

Is that link to an Rx with built in dual brushed ESCs? That's perfect for AWs!

Register To Comment