Register To Comment
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a walker?

Roboteer

Requirements for walkers were engineered around preventing cam actuated walkers qualifying for the weight allowance. But are left simple to allow scope for a effective walker to be developed.

To look at it simply, the legs need to move in [at least] two independent directions. Such that they may approximate natural walking.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    Although I take it if those legs were on an actuated pivot (as you look vertically down) then they would have the extra degree of freedom required?
    It would, just don't ask anything more complicated than that as t
    he general formula confuses me

Can anyone show me a walker from the past, that qualifies under these rules, that has won any fight any were in the world!

Don't think it's happened

Would this mechanism count?

http://davidbuckley.net/DB/BigFoot.htm

You can move back and forth and then lift separately with each servo but you can't walk sideways or turn very easily...

And it looks very fragile!

lift seperately with each servo? JUST about! If it ain't a shuffler, then it got-off on a technicality. But nobody would mind I don't think, cos nobody would be scared to tangle with it at any weight

I think that complies with the rules as each leg can move up and down then separately can move forwards and backwards- it is by combining these 2 motions that the walking is achieved.
    I imagine that you could replace the servos with a continuous motor running through a cam mecahnism to get a reciprocating motion like the one which is given by the servo.
    I also imagine you could add more legs to the mechanism and if you had a separate motor for the forwards/backwards motion for each side then you could get better steering.
    It would never be the fastest thing in the world but it would be quite basic to make.

Big foot is this the best you can come up with??? As a fighting robot it's a sick joke!!!

I ask again Can anyone, anywhere show me a walker from the past, present or if possible the future, that qualifies under these rules, that has won any fight in any weight class, any were in the world! ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Would this mechanism count?

http://davidbuckley.net/DB/BigFoot.htm

You can move back and forth and then lift separately with each servo but you can't walk sideways or turn very easily...

And it looks very fragile!
    That's technically a walker. Two four bar linkages in each leg with 1 DOF each in different planes.

Inchworm drive would also count. As for walkers that satisfy these rules and have won a fight, I got nothing

Here's hoping

Just one fight would make me happy. Just one.

Register To Comment