Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Splinter

Here's some pictures of the latest bot I've been working on. I decided build it from wood for a change partly because I had a week in which to get it finished and I really like the idea of a wooden robot class to make this hobby more accessible to those without access to lathes and mills.

This was an initial layout idea using gears from a bike for drive.

[attachment=1:1cec9gfi]2013-01-10 22.44.25.jpg[/attachment:1cec9gfi]

For a while PJ and I have been toying with the idea of using fan motors for drive and being made from wood there was some weight going spare for these monster motors.

[attachment=2:1cec9gfi]2013-01-10 22.36.41.jpg[/attachment:1cec9gfi]

I used a laser cutter to draw the wheel profiles. Were using gears from a lawnmower for drive which dictated the size of the wheels, they're about 110mm + some bike thread.

[attachment=0:1cec9gfi]2013-02-26 15.57.49.jpg[/attachment:1cec9gfi]
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was going to be too large having the motors driving the wheels with chain so I've gone for a simpler option.

[attachment=2:357kq6rn]2013-02-28 17.26.27.jpg[/attachment:357kq6rn]

Here's the finished wheels. They've got a small nylon bush so the ply isn't running on the steel wheel bracket.

[attachment=1:357kq6rn]2013-03-01 16.05.43.jpg[/attachment:357kq6rn]

Here it is almost complete. It's weighing in at 10.6kg so a few kg's going spare for a polycarb lid and it'll be done.

[attachment=0:357kq6rn]2013-03-12 12.25.07.jpg[/attachment:357kq6rn]

Now I just need to wire it with something that can handle all those amps! It's going to be using TZ85a's on a 3s lipo, the stall current for EV warriors is near 100A though so we might have some white smoke, we'll see.

Also Splinter's going to be fighting in place of Bitza Mk III in this years UK champs as it doesn't look like we'll get MkIII together in time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Loving the nice wood, and the Laser engraved name. Shame its going to get all bashed up :-(

I actually really like the way this looks! What's the gear ratio?

Thanks. That's one of the benefits of working in wood, you can take any old scrap and make it look good!

The gear ratio is 3.8:1

This calculator reckons it'll do 8 - 10 mph but I'm hoping for more It'll certainly have the torque!

http://architeuthis-dux.org/torquecalc.asp

A wooden class has been discussed at some length but no one could seem to agree on how much wood, what types and how thick, how to prevent massive fireballs, if internal metal boxes for electronics were allowed etc... but I still really like the idea.

Looks very very nicely made, especially the wheels, but I'm trying hard and failing to not say anything about the name...

Its fine, as the last owner of Splinter I have no problem with the name. If it had been a heavyweight that would have been a different matter.

Aaah, right, was more checking for awareness than anything else so sorry to be a bother. Just don't fight 360 with it because that would be too weird and possibly doomed to failure by history XD

Register To Comment