Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Splinter

It was just a fleshwound.

You've got no bloody arms! Or axe.....

I honestly didn't know about the original Splinter until the build was well under way. Thanks for giving it the thumbs up though, not sure what I'd have done with the etched front end had it been a problem.

Should I end up in a fight with 360 the name splinter might be fairly apt, I doubt there'd be much more than a splinter left!

History tells us that wooden robots tend to survive surprisingly well against spinners. Block of Wood and Surprize are two of the best examples. Everyone crams round the arena expecting to see sawdust, splinters and shredded components but it very rarely happens. As long as the construction is robust (which it looks like) you'll probably be fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how those 2 fan motors will perform! Theoretical 8hp!

Wood gums up conventional spinners and absorbs the impacts. A saw blade would be required however no one fits those these days

We found even wood saws to be pretty ineffective since they require constant pressure at a certain amount. In fights it's often all or nothing if the blade is statically mounted, so the blade ever digs in and gets stuck or breaks.

What batteries are you running, by the way?

Wood , mother natures own carbonfiber.
    Depending on kind of wood and treatment, not to be underestimated. If 18th century ships of the line could stand up with oak and teak armor against heavy cannons, why would a robot do less?
    Warrior, the first British Ironclad, used 18 of teak to back up the 4.5 of iron armor. (incidentialy, she's at berth in Portsmouth...)

The Series 7 veterans here have seen how wooden armor destroyed an Etec.

The Dutch Robot Twister, using a heavy triangular sledgehammer directly mounted on the Etec against Brutus Maximus. The wooden armor of Brutus maximus stood up well, especialy compared to the more common ali and/or polycarb armored machines.

Just think about the difference in cost... Plywood vs Etek....

Register To Comment