Register To Comment
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Skipdiving Robotics

Very impressive! What's it made from this time?

You made a good choice putting the wheels far apart, it'll make the steering a lot less twitchy. Do you think any new weapons might be in the pipeline?

Also, I forgot to ask. I'm wanting to replace my SLA battery with a NiMH. What are the specs on yours, and where did you get it from?
    Last edited by Danny B; 4th February 2014 at 19:49.

Hiya, am really sorry I didn't see your reply the email notifications are definitely hit and miss. To answer your question I have been using 2x 7.2V NiMH 1.6amp/h packs wired in series to give 14.4V. In practise this has been a mare as you have to first make your own loom to cable everything up and then in between fights you'll be constantly panicking about getting both packs charged up. Just this morning I've started building a new robot that's not invertible after getting fed up with it so am moving to this single 12V pack.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/12v-3...tery-pack.html

This way you can bolt it in, and after each match just put the charger back on it. We were finding with a pair of drills and lightweight robot that 1.6a/h was starting to go flat at the end of a couple of fights. So my logic is that a 3a/h + pack would do us for at least three fights before having to stick the charger back on to put some juice in. So from my junkyard maths, I would say with four drills you'll probably have a good couple of fights at least with 3500a/h or above like the one I've linked.

We're building a new robot called Rammatron and just using a roll over hoop. I've had a mare with ground clearance on invertible stuff so moving over to a propper body with some decent drives in. Sticking with the Sabertooth 2x12 for now although have been looking to get a bigger controller to cope with some Banebots 775's we have planned for 2015. I wanna try this shape out although it's a rip off of several robots. I'm thinking about a lifting arm and a hammer, although in practise they don't seem all that effective and a waste of time. Robots like Little Hitter seem to gain most of their effectiveness from the Speed 600 drive at twenty-something volts and four wheel drive and hinged front plates etc.

Edit: Sorry I should mention though that we’ve sussed a load of stuff we couldn’t do before. I’ve been hacking my own drill motors with grub screws and then hose clamping them to baseplates after finding you can quite easily file a flat on drill gearboxes. One problem is that the supply of Robo Challenge 100mm wheels has dried up. I'm having a go at making a wheel that goes in the chuck of a drill to make life easier lol. That's the cool thing about just building for the fun of it really, if it doesn't work you've not really lost anything in having a go.

Picture of new robot:

Last edited by daveimi; 10th February 2014 at 12:23.

Can your charger not handle a 12-cell NiMH battery? If it can, why split them?

Register To Comment