Register To Comment

Thread: Polycarb... opinions?

I have ALOT of polycarb about ranging from 6-10mm but what would this be like for armour etc? Not too sure how it would compare to nylon and hdpe

If used well, it's good armor, harder and stronger than nylon and HDPE. But if not used well, a lot more brittle, and more expensive.

By itself don't think its any good against spinners - maybe if sandwiched and bonded to aluminium it may stand a better chance.

How could it be used for something like spinner bulkheads? Trying to avoid spending cash I dont need to if I can do it with materials I have

Use it as bulkheads if you want them to shatter spectacularly on it's first hit. Polycarbonate is brittle and will shatter if used in that application. especially if you are planning on gearing up off that magmotor. Spend the money and do it properly

Think ill have to get some nylon then

Kind of of this subject...

What exact type of polycarbonate is what we perceive as 'Polycarbonate'?

In this material selection softare (CES Edu Pack) I have about 60 to choose from.

There are glass filled, graphite filled, stainless steel filled, several others and Unfilled. Unfilled has the lowest UTS but it is perfectly translucent.

I need a type that is perfectly clear but has a high UTS and toughness value. Unless someone can think of another material that fits that bill.

Alex, polycarbonate is about your only option for something clear but strong enough for the arena. I'm afraid I can't help on the make up of it question. I think the main attraction of it in yee olden robot wars times was that it was bullet proof

I have seen robots with polycarb bolted to box section stand up very well to spinners, Juggernaut at the UK FW champs in 2010 is a good example of that. But that's using something like 15mm of it.

Register To Comment