Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What next for Robot Wars & bringing it back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIBB View Post
    Constructors will be using more computer and programmed functionality
    AIBB
    Hmm. I do think the personalities of the teams matter hugely and frankly, fully autonomous bots just won't cut the mustard in terms of good viewing. However, I think some inclusion of this may well help with funding, and it would be fun to see each bot have SOME autonomy. A "special-move" type of idea might work, self righting would be easy enough etc. and perhaps the more automated a bot is, the more concessions towards weight or something could be awarded. A certain amount of fly-by-wire is probably a natural progression anyhow (eg, selecting where in the arena you want the bot to go, rather than actually steering) But recognising an opponent vs house bots for example? Hmmm.

I think there's some potential here, but nobody wants to watch bots dithering about, missing the opponent completely and bashing against the arena lamely. Its a gladiatorial contest and we want blood! Glory!

Well, a certain amount of autonomy, perhaps, but it would have to be pretty limited.

Something I noticed a while ago when it comes to these things. The first time a robot follows a line, it's amazing. The second time, it's cool. The third time, it's ordinary. The fourth time, it's little more than a technology demo.

There are sometimes robots with self-firing weapons, and a self-firing SRImech makes plenty of sense - but I wouldn't want it to go any further than that. The reason is simple - the more you remove the driver and the team from the equation, the more it becomes a technology demo once the match begins. People will care about the roboteers, and they'll care about the robots that they are driving - but I really don't think they'd care about autonomous robots for long, even if on a technological level they are more impressive.

Just a thought but perhaps there is something fundamentally wrong with the way we judge the events. The criteria for Battle bots allowed for even the most bizarre robots to be able to take victory on a regular basis. Where here, cos damage gets you such a high number of points you end up with lots of spinners and then armoured flippers that are designed to end the fight quickly.

One thought that I had what to include another element... expected damage. This is heavily dependant on your driving skill and your aggression as you may have a powerful spinner but if you cant utilise the weapon properly that is either poor design or poor driving.

I have no idea how you would go about scoring that but I am just throwing it out there.

Finally I guess that as we can OOTA this gives flippers an easy victory. Flippers are less common in the US as they don't have an OOTA but you see launchers that aim for massive air and the resulting internal and structural damage. Even if you put wall son 2 sides of the arena you reduce the chance of an OOTA by 50%. This would give machines that cant OOTA or end the fight quickly to gain more points for control and aggression over longer lasting fights.

I also love the idea of having an angled edge to the arena. Say that a 2m length on all sides is at a 20-30dgr angle with the wall at the top as usual. what would that do to the style of robots?

Just an idea- what if an oota wasn't an automatic win, instead after an oota it went to judges decision. That way flippers are still effective but they will have to drive well and try to be aggressive throughout the fight then flip the other robot out at the end so that way they win the decision. Whereas if an axe bot was aggressive throughout the fight then got flipped out at the end it would still win the decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Just an idea- what if an oota wasn't an automatic win, instead after an oota it went to judges decision. That way flippers are still effective but they will have to drive well and try to be aggressive throughout the fight then flip the other robot out at the end so that way they win the decision. Whereas if an axe bot was aggressive throughout the fight then got flipped out at the end it would still win the decision!
    I'm not sure how popular or fair this idea is.. but I'm guess that the oota would carry some serious points? That might make it a reasonable way of doing things...

One of the things which really annoyed me about robot wars was the use of house robots. Being someone who sees robotic combat just as much as a sport than as a hobby, it was so irritating to see a house robot tear a chunk out of one opponent and hardly damage another. Even if it's by accident, I'd like house robots to be used just for whiteboards, though I know this is how it was for last year's champs.

Also, just an idea for how to judge these fights. Instead of having a robot win for simply lasting, how about points are awarded for immobilizing opponents, and how they do this. Something like 0 points for entering a fight, 1 point for stacking an opponent or turning them over so they can't self-right, 2 points for an OOTA or pitting, 3 points for braking an opponent so they are completely unable to move (full immobolization) and 4 points for total annihilation (taking a wheel or two off, or ripping off a sizable body panel), and then take away the corresponding amount of points for robots losing in those ways. This encourages destruction and means even if a robot is pitted in a fight, it can still win. Oh, also, -5 points for not turning up to a battle.
    As an experiment, I tried this with the FW qualifiers with pretty good results. LS4 came first, LH3 joint second with Explosion, 720 fourth, Beauty 2 fifth, NST sixth and so on, so I think quite accurate to how good the machines are. Judges might have a hard time keeping up though.
    Last edited by MudnuK; 11th April 2013 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by MudnuK View Post
    Judges might have a hard time keeping up though.
    Solvable by reviewing the fight on film though, if judges score-cards do not agree. Only required if the difference in opinion actually changes the outcome of the fight.

Return the Perimeter patrol zone to conquer OOTAs. also I'm thinking bungee cord.

I hate to get in the way of anyone's ideas, and I wish not to sound abrubt, but why try to fix something that isn't broken.

I mean, all that an untrained eye wants to see is mass destruction with big spinny things and I think that from the number of people that were watching the fights at GSL, we are already in a good position with this. Even Roaming Robots (Robot Wars) and Robots Live are getting sell out shows on many events. What I think we need to do is make what we have already got more publicised to a wider audience (i.e having events, as they are, shown on TV). Also, I was just searching through Dave (tv channel) listings and the comments that people had made about Robot Wars. People loved the show as it was, and I think as long as there is carnage, they won't care about the scoring system etc.

I also think that the main aim, in the short term, is to get HW spinners back up and running.

Anyways, just putting that out there

Register To Comment