Register To Comment
Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

Making big wheels

The disc is made from HDPE 20mm thick.
    First cut out the blank, Find were the centre for the wheel is going to be. then mark the position with a pen and centre punch the exact point.
    I used some steel builders strap as the holes are punched accurately so the dimensions should be good and the wheel round this is screwed one end at the centre punch mark, using a scriber or anything metal and sharp the circle is marked I find with my eyes the line is hard to see so I go over the line with a permanent marker.
    IMG_0367.jpg
    Cutting out the wheel is a long and arduous business but the slower you go the better the final job usually is.
    IMG_0368.jpg
    The tyres for this robot are Motocross motorbike front wheel tyres like Saint first they have to be cut in half radially this means you have half the tyre on each wheel. for the new robot the wheels are so large there are no tyres big enough so the tyres are segmented 12 segments for each wheel. a simple clamp helps, don't forget the bead is steel.
    IMG_0370.jpg
    the tyre is then bolted to the rim the holes for the bolts are measured out first and the holes drilled. The bolts used are stainless steel hex socket domed head (flanged) 8mm machine screws and Nyloc (flanged) nuts to fit.
    IMG_0369.jpg

more to come

Craig

I have gone over to 500 grade HDPE it is less expensive than UHMWPE or RG2000 I always wanted white but the RG2000 only comes in black and green!
    Hope that clears that one up.
    I am thinking of calling this robot after a short lived featherweight, Gabriel what do people think?

Each wheel weighs over 10Kg Defiantly a heavy. I hope to take it to Colchester for a few test runs.

Gabriel it is then!

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

This is not a trick the clearance from the front of the robot to the ground is 14" or 350mm!

IMG_0455.jpg

I still have lots to do but I hope to get it going this weekend.

Looks really cool! And huge too...

Is this going to replace the current Saint or run alongside? Because if it's the latter, I would definitely love to see them both fight each other at some point, maybe with Stinger in there too haha!

Register To Comment