Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Botbitz 85a esc..... in a heavy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just wondering if anyone has yet to have tried them in a heavy?

In theory they should be fine as sidewinders can hold 80a and they are used (though rare) so could be a low cost esc as long as you change wire to handle the current?

The event is over and we gave Splinter a good run, but had constant drive problems, which we partly narrowed down to the TZ85s (partly low ground clearance.)

We initially found the volt drop was dipping so low that he ESCs were resetting (causing a pause) and turning off the Rx, which would then brown out flash and cause another pause.
    Solved that by putting a separate bat on the Rx, getting a bigger Li-Po (still 3S).

We then found that the drive would cut out when you gave it the beans, potentially current limiting? Limited the Tx to 50% throws, again this helped.

The final problem though was that if you put the Tx stick into the corners (diagonals, mixing on the Tx) it would cut out, every time without fail.
    We also found we weren't the only ones with this problem. Tried changing Rxs, still there.

Guilherme mentioned it may be a software limitation, although I didn't fully follow. Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks for the info and thorough response. I wasn't in charge of the Tx on that bot (although it was a DX6i) so don't know for sure how the throws were limited, but I'll find out.
    Cheers.

It's my Dx6i.

I think there were two problems happening last weekend. Firstly my motors were really big and might have been drawing too many amps, full forward or reverse caused them to cut out. I limited them down to 50% in Mix 1 and Mix 2, not sure if that's the right way to limit them but it seemed to work as I could throw it full forward to reverse and it worked fine.

The second problem was that with the mixing on it could only go forward, backwards and turn on the spot. It wouldn't drive if the stick was moved diagonally. It may have been an amp issue but they didn't really move at all, although on occasion on wheel wouldn't move and the other would go full pelt.

Guiliherme said it was something to do with the cheap Orange RX's signal not being interpreted correctly by the ESC's. I know there were similar problems with Binky. He was running the Orange RX, Dx6i and GR02's and it wouldn't move when the stick went diagonally but when he swapped the RX out for a Specktrum AR6110 he had a full range of movement.

Was that The Big Cheese ?

Register To Comment