Register To Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boner

Ok so for the 3rd or 4th or whatever time I'm going to try and keep a thread updated with progress etc etc.

Well boner is in a fairly battered state after the yeovil event last year. I wasn't able to make the champs as I was working offshore at the time however this year I will be there and have some upgrades to make to boner.

First out are the drill motors. They have worked well for me but on more than one occasion the plastic casings for the gearboxes split open. So it's time to go for some gimsons. I didn't want to get the plastic versions as I just didn't feel great about how rugged they were hence waiting for a metal version. Bought two 24v 36:1 ratio motors and gearboxes. To these I am using the 124mm banebots wheels. Same as the ones I previously used. However this time instead of the green ones which are far too soft and now looking worse for wear, I have gone for the orange wheels. They definitely feel far more up to the job although the green ones did last for two competitions. To mate the two I have gone for the hex hub from banebots with a 1/2 inch bore. Now this doesn't match completely with the 12mm shaft of the gimson motor (around 0.7mm larger in diameter) however with the grub screw and a bit of key stock holding the wheel in place I can't see it being an issue. It's also nice to move away from the thread and reverse screw that was such a pain when it came undone. The shaft currently sticks out beyond the end of the gearbox however I am just going to cut off the excess. I don't fancy using the thread on the end due to the large bending moment around it plus it wouldn't fit into the space reserved for the wheels in boner.

The drum is staying the same. Think it's done at least 6 competitions if not more now and is still in good enough condition to warrant use.

I'm going to ditch the electronize in favour of the hacked botbitz controllers hacked by me as I have the programming kit to do so and it isn't a difficult job. The electronize will likely find themselves in the for sale section before long.

I'm going to ditch the castle creations brushless esc in favour of an unhacked turnigy 85a esc. Basically one that I haven't hacked. I've burned out two of the large castle creations controllers in the past and they aren't cheap to replace or fix!

Battery wise I may stick with the large 5s pack I have or go up to a 6s pack or 2x 3s packs for that bit extra oomph from the brushless but time and money will tell.

Few pics below of the bot as it currently is and the new parts.

This will likely be the last outing for boner as it currently is. I'd like to redesign the chassis completely, keeping what's good about it and designing out the flaws.

Exciting stuff! I'm looking forward to this build. Lots of quality parts

Wow around 50 views and a few interested responses in only a couple hours. Didn't think this would be that interesting. Decided to start the dismantling process tonight so here's a few more pictures.

A few bolts out and it's off with the outsides

Most of the weight of the machine is on the outside. The inner chassis currently only weighs around 4kg give or take

Titanium base and battery compartment

Taking out a motor

Motors out and just the electronize to go

So at this point are you going to rebuild the chassis or just give it a spruce up? It looks like it needs a ruddy good clean

Agreed, this will be interesting! I didn't have the guts to face it at Yeovil last year. Our robot has improved greatly, but this will be improving in line with it, so I'm still fearful!

The draw for the champs is going to be... fun?

My chassis always end up dirty. It's probably because i spray WD40 onto the disc shaft and bearings. Gives it a noticeable extra few hundred rpm.

Register To Comment