Register To Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Smoothie! Build Diary

If you can get a weapon in it, do it

If i were you, collect the electronics for your rambot and screw all the motors etc. on a piece of wood and have a go at driving it round your kitchen then think about designing with a weapon once youve got to grips with how it all works.
    A simple weapon is a thwackabot like saint or barnsley bot (look in build Dairys)

Thwackbot tip: don't use a metre long 2kg axe I did this in barnsley bot, a hell of alot of fun but very hard to control (but that was partially to do with rubbish esc's).

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0283970

As mad as it sounds, bend the metal edges of this & it should roll over. It'll need an underside support to stop it deforming.

Looks like this is going to be a neat little machine! My only worry is the baseplate material you're showing in those pics. As the person who built a robot entirely out of (much thicker) chopping board I really must advise against the stuff. Search for NST vs Tormenta vs Inertia XL on YouTube, and you'll understand why.

If you don't intend to fight in spinner events then you may be okay but even a sharp landing from a flipper could crack your baseplate, or shatter it. Some chopping boards seem to work alright in robots (some Australian builders use them a lot) but in our experience they're to be avoided!

Most people get their plastic from www.directplastics.co.uk. HDPE and Nylon are common choices, the former for armour (and chassis in our case now) and the latter for chassis.

Register To Comment