Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal thicknesses and recommendations for spinner proofing

I'll let others with more experience give stone advice, but it would depend on grade I suppose. You'd have to go pretty bloody thick to be as impenetrable as 3.2mm/4mm Hardox, or very thick steel, to the point where working it in the average shed gets complicated.

I find as a rule of thumb, if you can bend it with basic workshop tools (hammer/vice etc) then it's not strong enough.

i would go for 5mm hardox to be safe as the 5mm mild steel scoop on scruffy got bent (can post a pic later if you want )
    8mm t6 aluminium would probably work but you would need a ti or hardox blade as aluminium isn,t good at keeping a blade

Explosion. Ain't a spinner nor a moving bunker.

scruffys still worked after GSL just the scoop got bent and the body had some chew marks,so if you made your bot from 10-15mm t6/t7 aluminium bolted together and got a piece of 5mm hardox to bolt on the front as the blade for your scoop then it should withstand a good bit of punishment

the normal cheap aluminium on ebay wont last long

were you aiming to build something like mr pink

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Explosion. Ain't a spinner nor a moving bunker.
    true and they have a good hardox chassis that stand up to allot of punishment

The metal on Tormenta 2 was, oddly, what was pretty useless. The HDPE chassis stood up perfectly well, and the 10mm HDPE sides kept out NST, 720 and Inertia XL pretty comfortably. I wouldn't recommend them for scoop material if you have an alternative, but for relatively cheap and strong structural parts, plastics work nicely.

Register To Comment