Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how did everyone get involved

i was wondering how people got into robotwars.
    i saw it on someone's shirt and as i was only 5 i had great memory and i was next Saturday and i was bored and i was flicking through the channels and there was robot wars.
    so without my life story i started from a t -shirt
    anyone else got anything interesting?

Watched robot wars from day 1. I can even remember roadblock appearing on blue peter to advertise the show. Kept watching it through then got the chance to help build and drive the typhoon bots with the air cadets

I didn't really get involved until last year with the battle ant kit. But i started going to live shows in 2006.

Started watching Robot Wars since before I can remember... some 2-3 years old I think. Been a pretty solid relationship ever since. I remember being absolutely ASTOUNDED when I found Battlebots on YouTube, and oh how frantically I searched to see if it was still running.

Building and competing has, as with everyone at some point I am sure, been just a pleasant dream until I signed up here and the possibility was unlocked. Loving every bit of it so far!

Having thought about it, I think I must have started watching towards the end of series 2, or certainly by series 3. I don't remember Clarkson at all (just as well, sigh), then again I was probably 1, hah.

I stumbled upon in 1999. A friday evening before going out. Watched the whole show. Cool I tought.

But didn't think or do much with it. Later I watched, again by accident, a second show, the rerun on sunday noon.

One of my buddies aquired the series 1 metal VHS box. Watched it, tought about it. Concluded, that can be done better. But not on my budget then.

Early 2000. Met a lady I liked a lot, and we watched the show together. She did see the fun of it too.
    That lady had internet at home, started searching for some info, and found the Robot Wars Forum. The Monochrome one...
    From there contacts were made, and WJ entered the picture. Team Madmen was formed.... Project One the result... BBC Series 5/ BNN series 1 here we come. Some support from Zenith as third crewmember, and we were off .

Thank you Babeth. June 2000 we formalised our togetherness by me moving in the House of Chaos.

i didn't think it was on anymore and as a last hope of a.search i tried robot wars 2010 and there was roaming robots.
    with help from john and dave i had my ant ready that year (i think)

Watched the first series and me and a couple of mates decided we would have a go, we built Limpet for a total of £10 by scrounging around and finding scrap parts. Limpet 2 got abandoned due to time.
    I only got back into it again because two people at work (Richard M and Ken W) both asked me on the same day if I was still building robots and by chance I had just been sent the application form for series 5, so we got together and came up with what eventually was 13Black. Even then we nearly didn`t get on because royal mail returned the (well addressed) application form a day before the deadline!
    Got into the live events through my son being obsessed with Robotwars since we competed.

I watched the series from the first episode, and by series 3 registered into the RW club. I formed a team with some people from the Roosendaalse Computer Club, and tried to get into the UK series. Mentorn did not respond to our application but when BNN in the Netherlands wanted to start their show we were contacted by them. That was the moment we seriously entered the fabracation stage and made RCC, Radio Controlled Carnage.

I never stopped building and competing since then.

awesome looking bot Leo
    btw did you make the Leo RC flight simulator for android?

Register To Comment